Molec Genetic Technologist
The position assists the clinical and developmental operations of the Diagnostic Molecular Genetics Laboratory to accurately identify and precisely classify variants/mutations detected through standard clinical genetic testing. Works under the direct supervision of the CMDL Supervisor. Performs duties delegated under the authority of CLIA 88 CFR Section 493 by the supervisor, laboratory director and department policy and procedures. Under direction of CMDL Supervisor will develop and implement new procedures. Uses established molecular genetic methodology to perform and analyze a variety of standardized clinical laboratory tests for the purpose of diagnosis of molecular genetic disorders and diagnosis/prognosis of cancer and preneoplastic syndromes.
- Maintains knowledge and remains proficient in the use of molecular genetic equipment and instruments including incubators, darkroom equipment, centrifuges, thermal cyclers, freezers, autoclaves, and biohazard hoods.
- Prepares critical laboratory reagents (PCR master mixes, primer working stocks, and solutions).
- Will perform and/or oversee set up of DNA extraction procedures for a variety of cells and tissue types. Ensures maximum quality and yield by following optimized protocols for extraction and using pre-determined storage conditions for specimen material.
- Sets up PCR and sequencing reactions using a standardized protocol for each test that is performed. Ensures maximum quality by following optimized protocols.
- Transfers sequencing data into automated analysis software.
- Prepares chromatogram printouts and recognizes sequence abnormalities. Uses standard nomenclature for human gene mutations in preparing summary of alterations. Able to identify polymorphic variants with the use of approved/authorized polymorphism database.
- Drafting of clinical reports for MD or Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist review.
- Performs quality control, quality assurance, or quality improvement procedures. Will oversee work of unlicensed Techs.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or related field of science.
Minimum Experience: 1 year as CLS in an approved clinical molecular genetics laboratory. Experience in human cancer and molecular genetics.
Required License/Certification: California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license or California Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist License.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top