Mandarin/Cantonese Interpreter - Per Diem
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Health Care (Medical) interpreters help patients with limited English proficiency (LEP) communicate successfully with medical professionals and providers. The services of a health care interpreter enable clinicians to provide quality and safe medical services to LEP patients, furnishing accurate interpretations of symptoms, medical history, and healthcare terminology.
Under supervision from the Director of Clinical Social Work and operational leadership from the Program Coordinator of Interpreter Services, provide English interpretations for Patients, Caregivers, Healthcare Providers, and Medical Center staff through in-person encounters. Contribute beyond specific job duties to ensure the smooth delivery of Interpreter Services at City of Hope.
This individual actively works, within a multidisciplinary team, to ensure optimal delivery of interpreter services. It is expected that the individual who holds this position can actively participate with colleagues in constructive problem-solving, program development, as well as to create and facilitate innovative and impactful services for patients, caregivers and staff.
The Department of Supportive Care Medicine and the Sheri & Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center utilize a staff leadership model and every employee is expected to take a leadership role in the department. Staff will also be expected to actively participate in marketing, educational and group programs, program development and fundraising efforts, and outreach to patients, families, other City of Hope departments and the community.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Provides timely, appropriate and respectful interpreter services to patients and families of the target language bridging the gap between healthcare providers and patients.
- Correctly explaining procedures and medications to patients, including potential side effects.
- Interpreting with no additions or omissions.
- Completion of daily activity logs and other documentation.
- Proficient understanding of cultural sensitivity, and ability to collaborate with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Maintaining fluency in the target language and current certification through completing necessary Continuing Education.
- Supporting the health and well-being of patients by accurately facilitating communication.
- Upholding laws, regulations, and policies in accordance with health care interpreting practices.
- Ensuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Understanding their ethical obligation to the position.
- Collaborates with and promotes teamwork among all members of the healthcare team; Uses effective decision-making and problem-solving skills in managing patient care, hospital and administrative needs; Demonstrates exceptionally strong communication skills.
- Works consistently towards organizational goals and patient satisfaction.
- Meets and maintains all professional and regulatory standards.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to promote continuous improvement in care delivery.
- Demonstrates assimilation of core organizational values within own practice.
- Internal Contacts:
- Supervisor: Courtney Bitz; Director of Clinical Social Work.
- This position will work very closely with all members of the Supportive Care Medicine Division and the Biller Patient and Family Resource Center. Collaboration with social work, psychology, psychiatry, physicians, nurses, and other members of the health care team.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School Diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- 1 year of interpreting in a medical/clinical setting.
- Fluency in relevant foreign language(s).
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent English oral and written skills;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Excellent active listening skills;
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Excellent stress management skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook.
- One of the following: Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI), Certified Healthcare Interpreter (CHI) certificate, National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI), Certified Medical Interpreter, or equivalent certification.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor's degree in communications or related field.
- 40 Hour Bridging the Gap Interpreter training, MITS (Medical Interpreter Training School) or suitable equivalent.
- 2-3 years of interpreting in a medical/clinical setting.
- There are 2 positions available
- Shift: Day
- Job Status: Per Diem
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top