Manager, Utilities Distribution & Facilities Engineering
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Chief Engineer & Senior Manager will be responsible for all operations and maintenance of the City of Hope Enterprise, managing complex facility systems and equipment. The Chief Engineer & Senior Manager will provide program leadership support, decision making and management of work requirements within this division utilizing a skilled team in an environment that requires flexibility, adaptability, and responsiveness.
The Chief Engineer & Senior Manager shall demonstrate and apply highly developed interpersonal, analytical and communication (written and verbal) skills the ability to manage complex programs in a diverse and dynamic environment with short-notice taskingâ€™s under high pressure situations.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- The Chief Engineer & Senior Manager will have full authority and responsibility for assuring performance and operations at the central plant and will ensure that the City of Hope Enterprise services objectives and standards identified by the Hospital management are met at all times.
- Oversee operations and maintenance throughout the Enterprise including the Duarte and Monrovia Central Plant and all equipment and systems, including chilled water system, boiler system, potable water system, electrical distribution, standby emergency generators and fuel storage.
- Provide management oversight to the 24/7 team ensuring the appropriate trades/skills are scheduled in accordance with the Medical Center requirements.
- Develop, implement and periodically review operating procedures for plant systemsâ€™ and operating instructions.
- Provide oversight to ensure key performance and energy measurements and are collected, analyzed and reported through the City of Hope Enterprise.
- Develop and implement emergency procedures, to include an essential personnel team available to respond to emergencies
- Ensure full compliance with all site policies and procedures to include updates to As-Built, Outage Requests and other project related procedures
- Support the City of Hope Medical Center strategic planning, developing partnerships, and collaboration to continually present integrated solutions across the facilities teams, contracts, stakeholders and customers
- Develop, maintain and monitor metrics to track impact and progress of efficiency and quality improvements.
- Recommend, develop, implement, establish and enforce procedures and programs to increase efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Monitor costs, including labor time and material of staff and vendors.
- Communicate and enforce Safety and Health Management Program-Demonstrate commitment to an Injury-Free Environment through own actions and mentoring others.
- Manage schedules, including preparation of detailed short-term schedules and ensuring all activities take place on or ahead of scheduled dates.
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst the team including subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following non-essential functions may be reassigned:
The following Pillars in Action are the behaviors that accelerate our impact as we deliver on our Vision and Strategic Priorities:
SPEED. We move with speed.
- We execute with a sense of urgency.
- We learn quickly and adjust course.
- We take ownership and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers.
FOCUS. We act with discipline and focus.
- We own City of Hopeâ€™s enterprise priorities.
- We deliver measurable results.
- We explore ideas broadly, and commit to ideas selectively.
ENTERPRISE. We behave as one enterprise.
- We work together, not in silos.
- We stand by each other and our decisions.
- We encourage innovative thinking and embrace responsible risk taking.
CONNECTEDNESS. We connect and network.
- We attract and collaborate with diverse talent.
- We connect and extend our relationships.
- We welcome and embrace external partners.
SPONSORSHIP. We trust and sponsor.
- We value and inspire each other.
- We extend trust.
- We sponsor each otherâ€™s success.
The position directly supervises:
The position indirectly supervises:
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree
- The following experience or combination thereof may substitute for minimumeducation:
- 15 years of directly relevant experience or 10 years of directly relevant military experience with two years Supervisor level, or higher experience
- Ten (10) years of relevant experience
- Minimum three yearsâ€™ experience at the Supervisor level, or higher.
- HVAC, Steam Boiler, Power Generation
- L.A. City Unlimited Boiler Lic. (current)
- Engineering and Facilities management courses
- FMP, PMP, Six Sigma Certification
Hospital and Research facilities operations
- Ability to plan and execute projects and service activities.
- Must exhibit clear written and oral communication, excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Capable of working independently, requiring little direction.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Language Skills:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as electrical and mechanical drawings, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Interview others
- Delegate tasks
- Maintain staffing levels
- Compile data
- Prepare reports
- Instruct/train others
- Monitor productivity and staffing
- Troubleshoot problems
- Analyze data
- Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, CMMS.
- Personal computer, electronic mobile devices
- Engineering/construction equipment/tools
- Electric cart
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Frequent pressure due to multiple, simultaneous assignments.
- Atmosphere and environment associated with office, laboratory, and patient care setting
- Subject to temperature changes due to various work environments
- Subject to many interruptions
- Exposed to material of a confidential
- Frequent pressure due to multiple, simultaneous assignments. Occasionally covers varied shifts, weekends and holidays
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top