Manager, Transfusion Services Laboratories
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Manager of Transfusion Services Laboratories is a licensed professional and technical expert responsible for managing the operational and administrative aspects of the Blood Bank and Stem Cell Processing Laboratory. The Manager is responsible for the day to day operational and technical functions of both laboratories. They work in partnership with the Director of Transfusion Medicine on the implementation and facilitation of strategic plans consistent with the organization’s and division’s overall mission, values, and vision.
Key Responsibilities include:
Specific responsibilities include directing day to day operational and technical activities of functional areas, budgeting, personnel management and providing leadership to laboratory supervisory staff. Ensures that laboratories are in compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements of FDA, AABB, CAP, State of CA, FACT and Joint Commission.
- In partnership with Director, Transfusion Medicine, estimates future personnel and equipment needs and monitors variance against budget on an ongoing basis. Assists Director in the development and implementation of capital budget and plans to control costs and improve department operations.
- Work with Management team and staff within the department to ensure appropriate operational direction, policies and activities. Ensures that procedure manuals of all standard operating procedures is maintained, updated and modified as new methods are introduced. In conjunction with Blood Bank and Stem Cell Processing Laboratory Supervisors serves as 24-hour resource for Blood Bank and Stem Cell Processing Lab personnel on all shifts.
- Attract, retain and develop quality management teams within areas of responsibility. Ensures that orientation and training programs are established. In conjunction with section supervisors evaluates performance and implements recommendations for personnel actions. Manages ongoing technical and professional development of staff.
- Ensures development of competency program and training programs for laboratory staff. Schedules staff meetings and ensures that staff on all shifts are informed.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements of FDA, AABB, CAP, FACT, State of CA and Joint Commission. Ensures the implementation of the Department Quality Plan. In partnership with Transfusion Medicine Quality Manager, oversees and review through active surveillance all quality control activities, including daily QC, proficiency testing, technical performance, and ensure documentation is maintained.
- Participates in and supports research projects and protocols related to transfusion medicine and cellular therapies.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor Degree
- Current continuing education in Blood Banking and management
- Five to ten years related blood bank technical experience
- Two to five years related supervisory experience
- Current knowledge in Blood Bank regulatory requirements of FDA, AABB, State of California, CAP, FACT and Joint Commission
- Exceptional technical knowledge of all aspects of the laboratory operations
- Strong leadership skills and a verifiable record of effective management skills
- Ability to develop effective professional relationships with all levels of staff and management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- California Clinical Lab Scientist License, CLS. If hired from out of state, the candidate must obtain CLS within 6 months of hire date. In the interim, Transfusion Supervisor(s) will approve technical policies.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Current Specialist in Blood Bank certification, SBB (ASCP)
- Current Medical Laboratory Scientist Certification, MLS (ASCP)
- Preferred, Member of Blood Bank/Laboratory organizations such as AABB, CBBS and ASCP
- Two to Five years related stem cell laboratory technical experience
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-AH
Back to top