Manager, Social Media
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Social Media Manager is a key member of the Content team within Public Affairs and will play a critical role in the success of City of Hope’s content, social media and community management activities. He/she develops and executes functional and cross-functional plans to advance City of Hope’s strategic plan as well as manages complex and cross-functional projects through entire project life cycle to achieve objectives and measure results. The Manager’s primary responsibility is develop and execute our social media strategy to grow and manage our social media community and increase engagement across all our social media channels. He/she will be responsible for developing social marketing campaigns, curating and creating content, tracking, reporting and optimizing efforts in our social channels, and managing the day-to-day management of our social media communities in collaboration with other teams. He/she will also be responsible for training and coaching content contributors and other social media page/account owners across the institution.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develops and executes functional and cross-functional plans to advance City of Hope’s strategic plan
- Manages complex and cross-functional projects through entire project life cycle to achieve objectives and measure results
- Proactively seeks opportunities to build and improve positive relationships with colleagues, leaders, and experts
- Serves as a role model for others and represents City of Hope internally and externally
- Demonstrates understanding of audience dynamics and tailors delivery to achieve objectives among varied audiences
- Conveys confidence, clarity and transparency in communications with stakeholders and leaders
- Proactively contributes to business planning and strategy development
- Proactively drives strategies and tactics forward to execution
- Leads teams and provides leadership to others, including contractors and third parties, to drive execution
- Manages social media creation and promotion budget
- Day-to-day management of social media communities, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Storify, blogs, Flickr and Yelp
- Manage specialist activities to help monitor, moderate and manage chatter and conversations; identify and pacify negative sentiment and comments when possible
- Work with individuals and teams across organization to coordinate appropriate responses to conversations, especially during crises
- Exponentially increase the size and engagement of our social media community
- Generate proactive user engagement of opinion leaders, Web influencers and journalists; build bridges through users, especially on blogs; Increase size of and nurture that community to amplify marketing efforts
- Establish and manage new social profiles per City of Hope policy, as well as assisting others in managing theirs
- Manages social media team including hiring, terminations, disciplinary actions, coaching, and performance/goal management
- Develop channel-specific social media strategies to drive community management across our relevant audiences
- Curate and create content, including copy writing, content sourcing and aggregation, and web graphic design; work with other departments on all aspects, as needed
- Develop content production schedule; develop processes and workflows to maximize content output with available resources
- Conduct audit of existing social media presences, processes and tools and develop new where and when needed; improve integration with existing City of Hope online properties and channels
- Manage and execute strategy to deliver social media content to improve City of Hope brand and reputation enterprise initiatives (i.e. employer services, etc.)
- Work with media team to produce and manage reporting and analytics of all social media activity, including daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
- Help define program and campaign specific goals and KPI’s, and manage outcomes against them
- Help identify and develop tools and methodologies for reporting on social media activity
- Build and develop team; duties to include hiring, terminations, disciplinary actions, coaching, and performance/goal management.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree. Experience may substitute for the minimum education requirements.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience managing medium to large social media communities
- Must have at least 1 year of experience in a supervisory/managerial capacity.
- Previous experience in healthcare, science or an academic setting preferred.
- At least 5 years of Web/online marketing experience preferred
- At least 5 years of client management experience preferred
- Proven track record of program and campaign success in social channels, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, Instagram, Storify, Pinterest and blogs
- Deep knowledge of social and web concepts, including mobile, location based services, contests and promotions, and social commerce
- Experience using social listening tools (e.g. Radian6, Sysomos), social media management tools (e.g. Sprout Social, HootSuite, Buddy Media, Sprinklr, Adobe Social) and web analytics services (e.g. Social Report, Google Analytics, Webtrends)
- Deft general project management and multitasking skills; strong planning, prioritization and project management competencies
- Polished and diplomatic client management skills; solutions oriented, solid troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- High competency with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator
- High level of attention to detail; high desire to meet the objectives and needs of internal clients and stakeholders; high desire to develop engaging online digital content and experiences.
- Able to work seamlessly in a team development environment, with many team members across all disciplines and departments (Media, Creative, ITS, Marketing, Legal and other internal departments)
- Content marketing, fundraising, PR and SEO knowledge a huge plus
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and can multitask on a variety of different projects; handles competing priorities and pressures well.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top