Manager - Research Decision Support Services
Job Title: Manager - Research Decision Support Services
ABOUT CITY OF HOPE:
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
To provide technical leadership and manage a group of Database and Reports developers to build and support innovative Decision Support Framework for large scale research data in the Department of Information Sciences. To help ensure the easy and immediate availability of the data, reports, utilize technologies and best practices set forth at the department as well as enterprise level to provide quality and efficient solutions. Provides leadership in the Research Informatics Applications section of the division by participation and implementation of advanced integrated RI platform architecture and functional applications. Mentors other technical staff in state-of-the-art scientific data gathering and reporting and analytical practices.
- Leads projects, provides consultation on projects. Works independently or as a member of a larger team as required. Serves as a hands on decision support systems manager, in becoming a driver in the design, architecture and implementation of new Decision Support platform and technology enhancement of existing reporting and data needs. Provides domain enriched scientific and technical expertise to devise an advanced architectural framework and implement the platforms to ensure that it meets current and future needs of DIS at COH. In effect, platform and reports are delivered and fully meet the requirements.
- Manages a team of developers and their workloads and overall approach to work. Hires and works on retention of employees. Oversees assignments and provides prioritization for developers. Promotes professional performance and development through 1:1 coaching. Mentors/trains report and database developers. Participate in budget process as necessary. Helps developers mature in their fields and increase the quality of reports delivered to users. End result will be that developers improve skills and increase productivity.
- Researches new technologies, prototypes new methodologies, keeps abreast of the constantly evolving best practices, work with stake holders to gather requirements to further enhance existing systems and practices.
- The position directly supervises: A small Decision Support team of up to five members.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- An MS degree in computer science or related field. Substantial experience in lieu of a degree may be considered.
- 10 to 15 years of experience in Database development with a focus towards Business Intelligence.
- At least 6 years of experience in hands-on technical lead or architect position
- Experience with multiple databases including SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.
- Experience with technologies like Data Warehousing, Hadoop
- Experience with building frameworks for Reporting and analytics
- Experience with building analytical frameworks including Cubes
- Experience in implementing both OLAP and OLTP systems
- Strong exposure to platform design and development
Preferred Education and Experience:
- An advanced degree in computer science or related, M.S. or Ph.D. in quantitative sciences
- Experience as a framework engineer or platform developer
- Experience in a healthcare or life sciences environment
- Familiarity with healthcare and HL7
- Exposure to current trends such as ORM, SOA, RESTful data services
- Experience in .NET and Java
Skills / Abilities:
- Ability to pull together a prototype from concepts
- Ability to quickly analyze and assess requirements and formalize solutions
- Go getter attitude in tackling complex domain problems
- Capable of working in an individual capacity or in a collaboration and team setting environment with little day-to-day direction
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-DA1 | *CB-DA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top