Manager, Practice Management - Newport Beach
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Manager, Practice Management is responsible for strategic planning, management, development and operational performance of multi-disciplinary outpatient satellite practices. Provides leadership to multiple sites in partnership to provide quality patient care in a safe, cost effective, patient focused environment. Collaborates with physicians, other health care disciplines and managed care organizations to assure optimal patient care. Manages, directs and oversees all administrative and clinical operations and staff.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Manages all personnel activities of the administrative staff. Supports and oversees the activities of the clinical supervisor and clinical staff. Recruits, interview, hires, trains, evaluates and disciplines employees. Ensures all employees are appropriately trained.
- Maintains and oversees the schedules for all support personnel in all locations. Makes staffing changes as needed to manage workflows. Grants/denies personal leave time for staff according to coverage and practice policy.
- Makes recommendations for highest and best use of personnel, based on licensure, certification and/or skill set.
- Conducts regular staff meeting. Documents all meetings accurately and in an organized fashion.
- Oversees cross-training and education of staff.
- Oversees the administrative and clinical areas and coordinates their activities. Promotes cooperation of the staff to achieve department objectives and maintain good department relations.
- Assigns work to staff
- Provides direction
- Review work appropriately
- Ensures that department is run efficiently and in an organized fashion
- Effectively monitors departmental productivity and workflow
- Responds promptly to changes in workload or staffing assignments as necessary to achieve optimal productivity and efficiency considering staff skills and experience.
- Considers the needs of the department when making important decisions
- Consults with Vice President, Operations when determining staff needs. Assigns personnel duties in their assigned areas and makes adjustments for special request or unusual circumstances
- Communicates effectively, follows chain of command when any questions arise and when any conflicts occur
- Communicates observations or concerns in a timely manner
- Establishes positive communication and effective working relationships. Uses appropriate lines of authority
- Interactions with others are effective; information is exchanged readily in a format that is clear and concise.
- Oversees Clinical Supervisor as he/she assesses and evaluates patient flow in clinical practice sites works with the Clinical Supervisor to implement changes for quality service and care
- Collaborates with Clinical Supervisor, physicians and others to plan and execute process changes that improve patient care services and patient management
- In collaboration with Clinical Supervisor, develops written protocols for patient care standards with approval from Medical Director and Vice President, Operations
- Investigates complaints of patients, patients' families, nursing staff, medical staff, clerical staff and administration and takes appropriate action; follows-up to ensure that complaints have been satisfactorily handled
- Responds to all task or performance-related questions patiently and thoroughly, providing context as well as direction
- Communicates clearly and tactfully with patients, their families and/or significant others
- Practices positive patient relations and demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patient/family rights
- Effectively problem solves in a positive manner
- Participates in continuing education programs specific to customer services in relation to patient care
- Reviews physician schedules periodically to maximize physician efficiency and productivity; coordinates changes with clinical staff and department managers
- Request and establishes operating room block time from community hospital for surgical staff as needed.
- Ensures the practice adheres to all applicable OSHA/CLIA/COLA standards
- Directs the ordering of all administrative supplies develops effective inventory control systems
- Makes recommendations for purchase of capital equipment to Vice President, Operations
- Ensures the practice complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures according to state and federal law
- Maintains current federal, state, county and local license, survey, inspections and certifications as required by regulatory bodies for all satellite locations. These include business licenses, fire safety inspections, OSHA equipment inspections and laboratory surveys
- Directs surveys required and scheduled by city, county, state and federal inspectors, including COLA inspections
- Consults with Vice President, Operations and the Physician Lead concerning management of assigned area and all related matters
- Communicates effectively with others if questions arise and when conflicts occur
- Communicates relevant issues to Vice President, Operations, Physician Lead and other staff members
- Cooperates with other personnel to achieve departmental goals, objective and maintains good employee relations
- Demonstrates attitude of cooperation and professionalism
- Maintains harmonious relationship with co-workers, physicians, visiting consultants and staff
- Provides support, assistance and leadership to co-workers' to ensure quality patient care
- Seeks appropriate input from Vice President, Operations Physician Lead and Human Resources on interpersonal relationships that will affect center harmony and patient care
- Participates in continuing education programs in OSHA/CLIA/COLA guidelines
- Adheres to all office policies and procedures
- Continually demonstrates good communication skills with all
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations
- Assists in identification of staff development and training needs; makes recommendations for work simplification and standardization of activities
- Effectively determines staff training needs and schedules in-service education programs
- Evaluates alternative methods to decrease costs without compromising care
- Identifies areas where procedure or policy may need to be changed or revised
- Observes and monitors staff performance and evaluates performance. Provides feedback to Vice President, Operations and/or the Physician Lead
- Ensures OSHA policy and procedure manuals are up to date and that all staff receives adequate training and documentation of training
- Provides direction and leadership to staff. Assists staff in developing solutions to problems as necessary
- Serves as a role model by providing technical expertise, coaching, counseling and leadership
- Sets and reviews performance evaluation/standards on a regular basis, considering company policy, departmental needs and individual employee skill level
- Serves as an efficient resources to other employees
- Sets goals and objectives consistent with organization goals and develops effective action plans for their achievement
- Continually updates knowledge of new techniques, software programs and equipment, avoiding adverse consequences.
- Seeks opportunities to expand knowledge base
- Demonstrates accurate knowledge of relevant laws, policies, regulations and standards. Keeps manuals up-to-date. Is alert to changes in regulations and responds immediately to meet them
- Follows established COHMF policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines
- Directly responsible for cost control of supply inventory for all areas.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality
- Attends all regular meeting
- Performs all other tasks and projects assigned by the Vice President, Operations and the Physician Lead
- Utilizes leadership skills in overseeing and assisting members of the health care team to prioritize and resolve issues
- Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriate care and positive working relationships
- Displays courtesy and professionalism in dealing with COHMF employees, patients, visitors and/or vendors
- Assists in developing satellite location budgets, considering fiscal and capital needs. Monitors variance against budget on an ongoing basis and recommends solutions
- Maintains reports and collect statistical data for administrative, financial and regulatory purposes
- Regularly reviews copay, patient financial responsibility and demographic reports for all satellite locations and distributes to appropriate staff
- Reviews daily charges in EMR and updates charges as required by corporate billing office
- Approves all administrative invoices
- Maintains accurate time-keeping for physicians
- Participates with leadership in the interview process for hiring new physicians
- Responsible for on boarding new physicians and employees
- Directs relocation of offices/practices when required including directing physical move, purchasing furnishing and coordinating all communication equipment and software with IT department
- Participates in strategic planning, design of new space, program growth and acquisition and development of new programs
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School Diploma or GED. Experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- 3-5 years of experience. Experience to include working in a medical/hospital setting with physicians and high level executives for strategic planning, operations and problem solving.
- Experience with utilization review, quality assurance and managed care process. Experience communicating and interacting with physicians and executives. Understanding of OSHA guidelines for ambulatory practices.
- Knowledge of billing and coding guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability and extensive knowledge of the healthcare industry including managed care, finance, physician practice management, recruiting, marketing, credentialing, medical office leasing/build-outs and problem solving.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan and carry out responsibilities with supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments.
- Pleasant speaking voice and demeanor
- Neat and professional appearance
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) experience preferred
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top