Manager Patient Referral Svcs
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Job Title: Manager, Patient Referral Services
Requisition ID: 10497
Location: Irwindale, CA
The Manager of Patient Referral Services will be responsible for ensuring streamlined registration and scheduling of new patients referred by outside providers or self-referred. Has oversight for managing personnel and financial resources, strategic planning, quality assurance, staff optimization, implementing strategic change, setting performance goals, measuring outcomes, and the overall productivity of the department. Oversight includes registration, scheduling initial appointments, procurement of medical records, and some clinical intake. Manages call center agents, clerical, procurement, and intake team. Independently exercises discretionary powers to make difficult decisions, solve managerial and/ or operational problems.
Key Responsibilities include:
40 % Personnel Management
- Accomplishes appropriate human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning work, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; administering timekeeping system; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Develop a culture of pride and ownership and provide opportunities for learning and growth. Ensures appropriate staffing levels throughout work week, reassess staffing levels to identify and achieves staffing optimization. Monitors and authorizes overtime when necessary. Schedule work assignments to ensure appropriate staffing coverage during regular office when scheduled and unscheduled absences occur. Provides timely decision making and direction to clinical staff to streamline workflow, improve efficiency of operation and eliminate delays; re-assign work as needed.
30% Quality Assurance / Compliance
- Monitors staffing productivity and quality by establishing and monitoring thresholds and benchmarks. Provides constructive feedback to staff and senior leadership.Responsible for implementing quality control audits to monitor the quality of work and provide retraining as required to maintain performance standards.
- Establish and foster excellent customer service practices supporting the daily needs of patients, caregivers, providers and staff.Oversees effective customer service systems, communication and feedback. Serve as the first line of communication and follow through for patients via direct means, telephone, email, and written correspondence.Respond and solve problems, including internal and external complaints.
20% Resource Management
- Responsible for preparing the annual fiscal budget for related cost centers. Monitors monthly budget and expenses, modifying spending as needed. Ensures expenditures stay within budget and accounts for variances when they occur.
- Implements new technology, and acts as a catalyst for change to meet current and future business needs. Provide subject matter and technical expertise in the design and implementation of relevant applications. Functions as authority for all decisions related to EMR and CRM system(s).
- Continuously assess and streamline processes, establishing and implementing standard work, maintaining performance boards, monitoring metrics, coordinating meetings and facilitating workgroups.
10% Special Projects
- Handle special projects involve supporting work related to various strategic initiatives such as improving patient access, improving patient satisfaction, and implementing new systems.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by tracking emerging trends; attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publication; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies; identifying and implementing new technology.
- Develop and maintain written standard operating procedures, policies and protocols consistent with COH, JCAHO, DHS, and other applicable regulatory policies.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
Minimum Experience: At least 5 years management experience overseeing registration, scheduling, inpatient transfer of new patients.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top