Manager, Patient Business Office - Revenue Cycle
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
This role manages day-to day operational oversight of the Patient Business Office activities and processes, on behalf of the Medical Center and Medical Foundation, proactively implementing improvements to self-pay/guarantor billing, account follow-up, customer service and financial assistance operations. Creates a culture of Patient Centered Care and Customer Service, consistent with City of Hopeâ€™s Mission, Values and Vision.
Collaborates with staff and Revenue Cycle leadership within the organization to drive standard processes and ensure consistency of practices as well as continuous process improvement within the Patient Business Office setting. Recognizes cross functional interdependencies of decisions. Provides situational analysis, advice and coaching in response to business issues and executes appropriate tactical strategies. Makes decisions in fast-paced, fluid environment where limited precedents exist; actively collaborates with key business and functional partners accurately and within defined service level agreements.
Supports the success of a high-performing customer patent-centric organization by helping to champion and drive COH vision. Helps foster an environment in which continuous improvement in business processes and services is welcomed and recognized. Participates in programs and in using tools in support of building a high performance culture via the standard Services responsibilities (e.g. performance measurement, people development, customer relationship management, etc.).
Responsible for personnel management, resource management, quality assurance of the Patient Business Office staff including self-pay follow-up, customer service and financial assistance workloads to ensure these activities are executed accurately and efficiently. This role will have dual â€reporting matrix relationship, reporting directly to Sr. Director, Revenue Cycle Medical Center and a dotted reporting relationship to Director, Professional Business Office.
- Ensures patient/guarantor billing ,account follow-up and customer service inquiries are completed on a timely basis, adhere to City of Hope exemplary customer service delivery standards and benchmarks across the enterprise.
- Manages the self- pay , customer service and financial assistance staff using effective leadership techniques consistent with COH philosophies.
- Collaborates with staff, Business Office management and Revenue Cycle Leadership across the enterprise to create standard processes across the enterprise and ensure consistency of practices as well as continuous process improvement within the Patient Business Office.
- Ensures compliance with all Local, State and Federal regulations.
- Ensures effective financial management and efficient use of resources within Patient Business Office
- Assists in developing department goals and objectives.
- Participates in cross training and job enhancement opportunities for major job responsibilities. Works with direct supervisor(s) to identify minor set of responsibilities to develop and perform in support of peaks, valleys and cycles across Patient Business Office
- Proactively works with staff to establish and maintain a cohesive and seamless workflow, from the first patient contact to the final resolution of the patient bill.
- Creates a culture of Patient Centered Care and Customer Service, consistent with the Organizationâ€™s Mission, Values and Vision.
- Establishes and maintains high quality customer service ratings.
- Supports the success of a high-performing customer patent-centric organization by helping to champion and drive COH vision, to foster an environment in which continuous improvement in business processes and services is welcomed and recognized. Participates in programs and in using tools in support of building a high performance culture via the City of Hope standard responsibilities (e.g. performance measurement, people development, customer relationship management, etc.).
- Participates in cross-training and job enlargement opportunities for major job responsibilities. Works with direct supervisor to identify minor set of responsibilities to develop and perform in support of peaks, valleys and cycles across the enterprise and individual career growth opportunities.
- Supports the implementation of programs, policies, initiatives, and tools specific to the Patient Business Office for Medical Center and Medical Foundation across the enterprise. Participates in all others as appropriate.
- Contributes ideas and actions towards the continuous improvement of customer service and self-pay follow-up related processes within area of influence.
- Service quality and work quality to meet required COH, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Utilizes work quality monitoring to insure that policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety and environment, and infection control guidelines are followed.
- Adhere to current organizational Performance Improvement priorities.
The position directly supervises
Self-pay follow-up representatives, customer service representatives and financial assistance specialists.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree
- 3-5 years of management experience
- 5+ years prior revenue cycle experience in a healthcare system (academic, hospital, medical group and/or hospital, ambulatory setting)
- Masterâ€™s Degree (MPH, MPA, MBA) preferred
- Training/Courses in Accounts Receivable, AR Management Systems Applications
- Ongoing education in Healthcare Management Administration, Revenue Cycle
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP )
- Lean or six sigma certification
- EPIC HB/PB/SBO Certification
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top