Manager, Data Management
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hopeâ€™s mission is to â€œturn hope into reality.â€? Focused on eliminating cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening illnesses, City of Hope has established itself as a world-class leader in transforming the future of health. Raising the philanthropic resources to fuel its leading-edge research, its exquisite and compassionate clinical care, and its advancement of biomedical education and training, is a vital component of the City of Hope model of success. Each member of the Office of Philanthropy is a stakeholder in this work, with personal accountability for his/her role in building a successful future of delivering new cures, treatments and education.
The Office of Philanthropyâ€™s vision is to support this life-saving work by being known institutionally and nationally as a model of excellence among elite fundraising programs. Recent recruitments of nationally and internationally renowned faculty offer advancement leaders new opportunity for partnership among philanthropy, research and patient care.
To this end, we invest in our staff through the Team Activation Program (TAP) initiative. This initiative increases the effectiveness of our team through focused transparency & accountability, building trust within teams; training & development; celebrating innovation & risk taking; enhancing team communications and removing roadblocks to maximize activation. The TAP initiative ensures that the Office of Philanthropy is poised to move quickly, effectively and efficiently to maximize opportunities on behalf of City of Hope.
Serve as the lead data steward within the Office of Philanthropy through administration and oversight of data systems, with focus on accuracy, integrity, completeness, accessibility, validity and compliance. This position requires experience in deploying, designing, and implementing data solutions using a diverse set of technologies in varied environments. A successful candidate will be analytically-minded with a deep business acumen and the tenacity to solve problems. The individual is expected to stay apprised of current technologies related to big data, data warehousing, and reporting solutions and to provide leadership towards related goals while simultaneously having the ability to translate technical concepts to non-technical staff to assure project buy-in. This position also interfaces with other professionals related to broader institutional data needs, systems integration, and enterprise data warehouse goals.
Develop a data strategy roadmap, daily oversight of Master Data Management tools, data governance standards, and a data quality framework to ensure optimal utilization of data assets aligned with Office of Philanthropy goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Director Information Solutions, the position actively participates and works in a highly collaborative fashion with City of Hopeâ€™s Information Technology Services department, Corporate Accounting, HIMS, and Corporate Compliance.
Business Architecture Strategic Support
- This position will also be responsible for supporting the Philanthropyâ€™s Business Architecture strategy via knowledge of diverse tools and the organizationâ€™s enterprise fundraising system, AccessHope (Blackbaud CRM).
- Provides leadership and technical assistance to integration projects during the lifecycle.
- Prioritizes and seeks resolution for system design needs as identified by various program areas.
- The position will oversee responsibilities related to resolving production issues, implementing enhancements, customizations, and coordinating major upgrades.
Data Stewardship & Management
- Provide oversite and structure to ensure compliance with data standards and foster adherence to regulatory requirements from IRS, PCI, HIPPA and industry best practices.
- Facilitate the Data Governance Committee in cross-team data sharing, organizational performance management, data-collection best practices and dashboard creation.
- Maintains data across a complex enterprise data warehouse that supports Office of Philanthropy reporting and analytics.
Through the partnership with Department Director
- Communicate data management processes and protocols to all functional teams.
- Works with business partners to fully understand how data can support institutional business process; serves as an expert resource to staff.
- Leads efforts to improve to data quality in support of strategic data needs and analytics
- Develops data roadmap that aligns data quality needs with Philanthropy BI requirements
- Oversees the management and functional administration of select Philanthropy applications and systems.
- Maintains a business rule repository and data dictionary.
- Manages data purges and retention cycles.
- Establishes and maintains data quality processes, data quality metrics, gaps, and issue tracking; communicates metrics to management.
Through the management of Data Quality Analysts
- Oversees data to day operations in support of centralized data processes, including management of data quality specialists.
- Seeks solutions with business partners related to the tracking and entry of data.
- Creates and enforces processes for accountability related to records management and maintenance.
- Maintains department operational manual, instructions and procedures.
Budget & Expense Management
- Manage annual budgeting process for Office of Philanthropyâ€™s software maintenance expenses.
- Ensure departmental software maintenance financial obligations are met in a timely manner.
- Monitor software maintenance expenses for all core Philanthropy systems.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in Computer Science or user-specific area. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- 3-5 years of managing business systems and administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of integrated database structure and associated software programs preferred. Understanding of fundraising principles is highly desired.
- Strong human relations skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Windows NT
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office software: Word
- Report Builder
- Sharepoint Services/Sharepoint Server
- SQL Server Management Studio
- Microsoft Reporting Services
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- SQL Server Analysis Services
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Occasional pressure due to deadline requirements
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Required availability by phone or pager at defined times
- Subject to regularly changing priorities and work assignments
- Tobacco-free environment
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs)
- Mostly sedentary work
- Occasional standing/walking
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top