About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Manager, Coding is responsible to assistant the Department Director in overseeing the operation of the Coding Department and support transcription services of all Community Practices locations. The Manager, Coding is expected act on behalf of the department director during her absence. In addition, the Manager, Coding is expected to provide leadership and direction to a staff of 12 professional coders to ensure that coders are coding proficiently, accurately and completely to facilitate the billing and reimbursement process. In addition, the Manager, Coding is expected work together with the department director in assisting Compliance Manager to implement, coordinate and to monitor all coding and billing procedures to ensure the organizationâ€™s continuous compliance with the billing guidelines set forth by the CMS and Medi-Cal.
- Responsible to assist the department director in overseeing the operation of the Coding Department/Transcription Services
- Assist director in providing leadership and direction to a staff of all professional coders and medical transcriptionists
- Assist director in developing, implementing and enforcing policies and procedures to ensure quality of coding function
- Assist director in preparing annual budget plan for staff and equipment/system needs
- Assist director in completion of annual employee performance appraisals
- Assist director in recruitingnew qualified coders
- Assist director in conduct in-service training in coding and ensure that coders maintain proficient coding skills and keep abreast of all new changes in codes and coding guidelines set forth by regulatory agencies and conduct monthly employee performance incentive bonus review
- Conduct medical records review and provide coding expertise to billers for claim appeals
- Provide technical expertise and inputs to members of the Billing Manager team to improve quality of coding/billing operation and assure organizationâ€™s compliance to billing guidelines set forth by CMS
- Perform surgical coding and assist as needed in other specialties coding
- Assign surgical charge fee to new surgical procedures and submit charge to director for approval
- Review and assist Information System Director in maintaining the coding system current in Pulse
- Update charge tickets as needed to ensure coding and billing accuracy and to ensure continuous compliance with billing guidelines set forth by CMS and Medi-Cal
- Act on behalf of department director during of absence and attend various committee meeting as needed
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following Pillars in Action are the behaviors that accelerate our impact as we deliver on our Vision and Strategic Priorities:
SPEED. We move with speed.
- We execute with a sense of urgency.
- We learn quickly and adjust course.
- We take ownership and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers.
FOCUS. We act with discipline and focus.
- We own City of Hopeâ€™s enterprise priorities.
- We deliver measurable results.
- We explore ideas broadly, and commit to ideas selectively.
ENTERPRISE. We behave as one enterprise.
- We work together, not in silos.
- We stand by each other and our decisions.
- We encourage innovative thinking and embrace responsible risk taking.
CONNECTEDNESS. We connect and network.
- We attract and collaborate with diverse talent.
- We connect and extend our relationships.
- We welcome and embrace external partners.
SPONSORSHIP. We trust and sponsor.
- We value and inspire each other.
- We extend trust.
- We sponsor each otherâ€™s success.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree or equivalent to other medical education.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as coding manager with strong skills in following areas: Leadership and management, Communication.
- Interpersonal and employee relations, Surgical and E/M coding, Excellent knowledge in anatomy and physiology and medical terminology, Appealing denied claims with success.
- Knowledgeable of EPIC a plus (Claims edit, Charge review, Follow-up).
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- American Health Information Association & California Health Information Assoc. Membership or American Academy of Professional Coders
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top