Manager Clinical Research Billing
- Duarte, CA
Thank you for your interest. Please note, the purpose of this posting is to recruit for on-going and future positions. We invite you to also view our current openings.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Manager of the Clinical Research Billing team maintains in-depth understanding of the business drivers and organizational strategic directions pertaining to clinical research at City of Hope. S/he is highly motivated, creative and expected to offer innovative solutions to streamline processes involving financial management of clinical trials. S/he works closely with research and finance leadership to ensure achievement of financial performance goals as well as the long-term growth objectives of City of Hope’s clinical research enterprise. S/he works with other departments to ensure compliance with sponsor regulations, streamline workflows, and improve processes to improve efficiencies while maintaining an atmosphere that fosters the research mission of the organization.
The position works as an integral part of the Clinical Research Billing team, currently consisting of four individuals, under the direction of the Director of Clinical Trials Administration. While this role provides higher level support to the team’s core responsibilities, the Manager of Clinical Research Billing is very much expected to work alongside the team to meet goals, objectives, and expectations set by the research community and Research Operations leadership.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Designs, develops, and implements management reports and dashboards that provide concise and accurate financial status assessments in various levels of detail.
- Generally responsible for identifying key performance indicators of clinical trial financial functions, performing variance analyses and generating monthly performance reports. Routinely provides monthly, quarterly and/or yearly summary reports to study teams, PIs, business offices, workgroups, and Senior Leadership as directed.
- Responsible for post award invoicing including patient care costs and billing of industry-sponsored clinical trials, reviewing trends in revenue and expenses, and forecasting financial impacts pertaining to clinical research activities. Works closely with institutional databases and research management systems to reconcile revenue as it relates to a variety of sponsor-types specific to City of Hope clinical research.
- As needed, resolves account balance discrepancies between sponsors and COH departments, and generally acts as the fact of the Clinical Research Billing team to the research community.
- Works closely with accounting teams to set up and verify chartstrings and in part create a clear pathway for revenue and recharges to flow within the clinical trials finance landscape.
- Actively participates in enterprise-wide system improvement initiatives and represent business area in large-scale IT implementations and upgrades specific to Epic and OnCore Clinical Trials Management System (CTMS).
- Assists with ongoing review of internal processes to streamline or create new more efficient processes; assists in executing process changes and assist with overseeing to completion.
- Analyzes and documents clinical research business processes in order to develop strong electronic workflow and corresponding systemic procedural documentation.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of financial management and compliance related to clinical trials
- Provides guidance to the Clinical Research Billing team regarding review of contracts, budgets, study calendars, and expenses posted to clinical trials.
- Assists with interpretation of policies and procedures, both sponsor and institutional, as they relate to compliance with laws, Medicare Coverage Analysis, National Coverage Decision, statutes and regulations specific to clinical trials billing. Assists in creating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures in the various areas of post award financial administration of clinical research.
- Regularly monitors financial activities on all clinical trials (internally funded, industry and non-industry funded trails) on an ongoing basis and assists with reconciling any balances at the end of a trial by working with departmental business managers and Post Award Office to ensure timely financial closure.
- Provides direct management of the Clinical Research Billing team via support from the Director, Clinical Trials Administration. This includes dividing work appropriately within the team, ensuring team goals are regularly met related to core responsibilities and leadership directives, resolving staff disputes, delivering feedback and monitoring performance, and raising issues to leadership that require higher level support. Also reviews and approves time sheets (via API) for directly supervised staff.
- Interacts, establishes cooperative working relationships, and communicates effectively with co-workers and personnel in other departments, particularly Medical Center Clinical Departments, Clinical Trials Support Services, the Clinical Trial Office, and Patient Financial Services.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field.
- Master’s degree and/or CPA License highly desired
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a Basic Research/Clinical Research environment within a healthcare or academic organization.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Master’s degree
- CPA License
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Up to date on state and federal policies (current and anticipated) that would impact Research and Grant financial activities.
- Accounting skills; demonstrated analytical capability with computer skills in Excel at an advanced level and in other applications of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Teams); good communication skills, written and oral.
- Strong experience financially managing a large portfolio of industry-sponsored and non-industry sponsored clinical trials.
- Strong knowledge of clinical research, including Medicare coverage analyses and clinical trials budgeting and federal guidelines/regulations pertaining to clinical research.
- Must have the ability to work closely and effectively with a diverse group of administrators; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
- Expresses commitment to City of Hope’s mission, personally identifies with its vision and takes pride in shared success.
- Exhibits flexibility while influencing others to improve processes and implement changes.
- Anticipates needs, responds quickly, provides guidance and support, monitors and follows up as required.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability
Back to top