Manager, Case Management
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Case Management Manager is responsible for assisting the Case Management Director in the operational aspects of case management services (transition and utilization management) to ensure safe patient care is facilitated along the continuum through effective resource utilization. In collaboration with the director, the manager is responsible for using the case management standards of practice as defined by the American Case Management Association® as a guide for moving departmental performance towards excellence.
Be a positive leader with excellent people skills and nurturing of human resources. Encourage open and positive communication as an advocate for COH, the staff and our patients; collaborate with both internal and external customers to meet our strategic goals. Be a change agent and encourage staff to welcome change. Monitor and control resources (human and material), provide excellent customer service. Encourage higher learning/ professional development in staff.
Planning and goal setting
- Manage and implement departmental programs and goals that support the strategic plan for the organization and for patient care services
- Support departmental implementation of new technology and services.
- Effectively communicate (written & oral) across the organization.
- To support the organizational and divisional strategic plan.
- To support the implementation of new technology.
- To support the development of new programs and or services.
- Achievement of annual departmental goals.
- Successful implementation of new technology and/or programs or services.
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Establish standards for patient care to assure patient care is timely, safe and effective.
- Assure satisfaction of patients, physicians and other customers with care and services that are delivered.
- Develop and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments to support safe and high quality patient care and services.
- Assure regulatory standards are met
- Measure performance of staff to meet regulatory and patient care standards
- Report results of ongoing quality metrics as appropriate.
- Promote the utilization of evidence based practice in delivery of patient care.
- Support and facilitate critical thinking of staff:.
- To meet organizational and departmental goals.
- To achieve excellence in patient care
- To assure regulatory standards are understood and met.
- To assure patient and customer satisfaction.
- Actively participate in LOS and readmission initiatives Resolve patient complaints and grievance
- Respond timely to incident reports and trend for quality improvement
- Ensure discharges occur timely and address barriers with urgency Monitors services failures with post-acute providers and trends for performance improvement
- Recruit and maintain adequate number and competent staff to provide care and meet patient care standards.
- Assure and facilitate the orientation and ongoing development and education of staff.
- Assure staff have current licenses, certifications and are competent to provide care.
- Manage and lead staff to develop collaborative working relationships within department and with other departments as applicable.
- Collaborates with human resources to provide counseling or performance improvement of staff as needed.
- Develop, maintain and monitor staffing plan.
- Support and develop staff to participate in (shared governance) at the unit and organizational level.
- Provides oversight and manages temporary (registry/traveler) staff that may be assigned to department(s).
- Assure adequate numbers of staff are hired and competent to provide safe and effective care.
- Meet defined patient standards
- Promote shared governance an achievement of magnet accreditation
- Assure collaborative relationships are established and maintained with collective bargaining units.
- Monitoring of current license, certification and competency through monthly reports.
- Completion of annual performance evaluations in a timely manner.
Fiscal and Budget
- In collaboration with director develop annual budget for assigned department(s)
- Monitor variances from budget on a periodic basis
- Collaborates with others to identify capital equipment and projects needs on an annual basis
- Develops annual staffing plan and submits for approval.
- Identifies need for modifications to annual staffing plan and submits justification for new positions or changes to staffing plan.
- Submits required documents for purchasing equipment, supplies, and or for department repairs services
- Supports organizational financial goals by demonstrating stewardship for resources
- Monitors length of stay and readmissions monthly identifying possible opportunities for improvement ensures staff consistently capture avoidable delays/days
- Ensures utilization review processes are followed per policy and regulatory requirements
Assignment, Review And Approval Of Work
- Align unit projects and goals to Nursing Division goals and strategic plan as as well as organizational strategic plan.
Decision Making Authority
Address daily operational issues like staffing, following up of patient complaints/issues, events generated from TIPS, staff issues including coaching and counseling. Implement action plans, and unit based projects. Level 3 authority for expenditure of funds per hierarchy. Hiring of new staff.
- Decisions Referred:
- Policy development and/or revision
- Termination of staff
- Expense beyond limit of level 3
- Capital equipment
- To Whom Referred:
- CNPC, Nursing Leadership, P&T, MEC
- Nursing Director
- Nursing Director and Human Resources
- Nursing Director and CNE
- Nursing Director, CNE, CEO and Finance
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in Nursing
- Fiveyears current clinical experience 3 years supervisory experience
- Current RN License
- OCN, CCM, ACM-RN
- Access data in computer data base
- Coordinate requests
- Delegate tasks
- Excellent oral/written communications and organizational skills Sensitivity to intercultural relations
- Computer equipment
- Software: Epic preferred, Previous use of InterQual data preferred.
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Occasional pressure due to deadline requirements and multiple phone calls/interruptions
- Exposed to material of a confidential nature on a regular basis. Atmosphere and environment associated with office setting
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs.)
- Prolonged sitting using telephone and computer.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top