Lymphoma Team Clinical Research Nurse-BSN (FT Days)
Job Title: Clinical Research Nurse BSN
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Clinical Research Nurse â€ BSN is a Registered Nurse (RN) who works collaboratively with physicians, Clinical Research Associates (CRA) and pharmacists to coordinate care for an assigned population of patients who are enrolled in to IRB clinical research trials. The RN assists in the assessment, management and coordination of care across the continuum of care (outpatient, inpatient and home) including triage of phone calls and proactive patient communication. The Clinical Research Nurse â€ BSN serves to educate patients and families on the clinical trial treatments and required testing. The Clinical Research Nurse â€ BSN in collaboration with the CRC is responsible to assure that the documentation for the clinical trial is completed and accurate.
Management of Clinical Trials Patient
- Collaborates with the investigator to ascertain study patient eligibility for clinical trial, including documentation of criteria specified in the clinical trial.
- Assesses, identifies and prioritizes clinical information to physician, NP, PA and other clinicians for patients who are being evaluated or who are enrolled in to IRB clinical trials.
- Assesses and documents signs and symptoms of illness, reactions to treatment, changes in physical or psychological condition and general appearance in accordance with the IRB protocol assuring that the documentation is complete and accurate in order to avoid protocol deviations.
- Manage patient/family phone calls â€ collaborating with MD, NP and/or PA as needed to obtain orders for the management of the patient.
- Coordinates and communicates all aspects of care as defined by the protocol with the physician and other health care professionals and research team members.
- Collaborates with CRC to assure that therapeutic clinical trial flag is placed on the patient during active treatment. Removes flag when patient is removed from clinical trial participation or when treatment is complete.
- Plans, coordinates and completes randomization (if applicable), patient assessments (toxicity assessment, diagnostic tests, and questionnaires), treatments and follow up care according to the defined protocol treatment plan. Demonstrates ability to multi-task, prioritize effectively and attention to detail to avoid protocol deviations.
- Collaborates with the physician and investigational pharmacists to assure orders for treatment are written per protocol and delivered at the prescribed protocol intervals.
- Ensures that all documentation and required protocol documents are completed timely, completely and are legible.
- Collaborates with members of the interdisciplinary team to develop and implement the plan of care for the patient.
- Collects information from patient medical record, patient interviews, and diagnostic tests to determine eligibility of patient to be enrolled in the clinical trial. Communicates outcomes of eligibility to the physician.
- Supports and evaluates patient adherence to protocol and documents any deviations for adherence in the medical record.
- Collaborates as applicable with CRC for patients enrolled in clinical trials.
- Provides and documents education of patient and/or family regarding disease, treatment plan and follow up care.
- Administers (if applicable) and documents medications and evaluates the patientâ€™s response to treatment. Assures that the delivery of medication is safe and follows hospital policies and procedures. Utilizes resources to assure to learn about new medications or medications that are a part of an investigational research protocol.
Informed Consent Process
- Ensures the consent process is performed in compliance with institutional, FDA, IRB, clinical trial sponsor and other applicable regulations.
- Participates in the education of the patient regarding the clinical trial â€ documenting the education regarding the clinical trial in the medical record.
- Alerts principal investigator of any concerns raised by the patient during the informed consent process.
- Assures that the signed consent for the protocol is scanned timely into the medical record.
- Assists internal or external study monitors in the protocol initiation and collaborates the review of documentation during protocol audits.
- Develops in collaboration with the investigational pharmacy and the principal investigator the development of pre-printed standard research orders for therapeutic clinical trials. Assures that the orders are reviewed, approved and posted in Clinical Trials on Line (CTOL).
- Promotes compliance with protocol procedures and processes as outlined in the clinical trial.
- Complies with the International Air Transport Association and institutional policies for shipping and receiving of biological specimens, experimental agents and devices.
- Provides education to nursing staff as applicable regarding the clinical trial to assure that the protocol treatment plan is followed and that the medications are administered safely and as outlined in the clinical trial.
- Collaborates with scheduling staff to assure that future appointments for the patients (follow up visits and diagnostic testing) are scheduled correctly and timely.
- Follows all COH policies and procedures when providing care. Provides care within the California nurse practice act. May provide direct clinical care to research patients.
- Delivers population specific care taking into consideration issues related to age, culture and other social issues.
- Ensures work environment is organized and functions efficiently. Participates in a collaborative, positive work environment as demonstrated through teamwork. Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriate care and positive working relationship within the disease cluster team and through the medical center.
- Maintains current knowledge and awareness of organizational and regulatory standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Is self-motivated in organizing and follows through on assigned projects.
- Acts as a preceptor/mentor for new staff members and/or nursing students as applicable.
- Internal Contacts: Disease program lead physician, NP, PA, Clinical Pharmacist and other health care professionals who may be involved in the care of assigned patients.
- External Contacts: Outside MD, Pharmaceutical sponsor (if applicable), home care agencies and/or community resources as applicable.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Current California RN License
- 2 or more years experience in oncology.
- Current California RN License,
- American Heart Association BLS Certification
- Previous experience as a clinical research RN
- Nursing with previous oncology or clinical trial experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to set priorities and reprioritize as needed
- Microsoft applications including word, excel and PowerPoint
- Computer and Phone
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- May have exposure to biological waste and pharmaceutical agents
- Minimal lifting
- Moderate walking
- Moderate keyboard activity
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top