Lab Outreach Process Specialis
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Outreach Manager and Laboratory Leadership, the Outreach Process Specialist is primarily responsible for coordinating multiple services within the Outreach Program. This position requires strong working relationships with clients, staff, patients, physicians and vendors to support continued outreach program growth.
- Acts as liaison for specimen collection and efficiently and accurately processes according to department procedures. Ensures confidentiality of specimens received.
- Handles laboratory orders and completes processes related to order-entry to support billing documentation records. For add-on testing, requests and/or arranges with the appropriate outreach laboratory for preparation of various material and testing.
- Evaluates billing information and documents for elements required by various third parties, insurance carriers, and/or subscriber prior to the processing of claim and/or statements.
- Using specialized knowledge of databases (e.g. Craneware), verifies molecular pathology codes for billing and other purposes.
- Assist Manager with the organization and implementation of new outreach program strategies as well as identifies and communicates promptly important management issues or problems.
- Maintains and/or enhances customer relations by following up on sample requests for needed information and documents appropriately in database.
- Effectively partners with Patient Billing Services Department to resolve insurance billing issues and provides follow up to ensure timely resolution on Authorizations.
- Accountable for the preparation and submission of billing charge sheets for all insurance cases and submits to Medical Center or Medical Group for processing.
- Maintains professional growth/development through seminars and workshops to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise (e.g. molecular pathology coding changes).
- Keep open communication lines with direct supervisor to maintain operational efficiencies and affectability.
Notifies direct supervisor of any problems/issues as they occur.
Provides constructive feedback to the direct supervisor regrading employee performance for the performance appraisal system.
Brings to the direct supervisor attention issues that have not been resolved through normal channels and that may significantly affect services levels to clients.
Keep direct supervisor apprised of progress on assigned projects.
- Lives the organization’s commitment to “Patient Experience”.
Always have a positive and compassionate attitude
Use courteous, clear and timely communications with customers.
Anticipate the needs of others.
Respect the customers’ time.
Display professionalism through actions, work area appearance and personal appearance.
Use teamwork throughout the organization.
Listen, empathize and work diligently to find solution to sustain and maintain the patient experience.
- Special projects as needed.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree. Experience may substitute for the minimum education.
Minimum Experience: Two years business experience, preferably in a health care setting.
Required Courses/Training: Strong knowledge of third party/government program billing requirements, patient billing procedures.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top