Food Service Worker I-FT
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Food Service Worker may work anywhere on property where food is prepared. This person will assist in setup and serving of food from counters and steamtables. Duties will include cleaning and sanitizing equipment and work stations. May be responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, equipment and utensils. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but City of Hope may identify other responsibilities of the position
Key Responsibilities include:
May assist in the preparation of hot and/or cold foods, and the proper storage of food, utilizing knowledge of temperature requirements and spoilage:
- Reads recipes and/or product directions.
- Estimates food requirements.
- Operates a variety of kitchen utensils to weigh, measure, mix, wash, peel, cut, grind, stir, strain, season and knead foodstuffs for cooking, serving and storing.
- May taste test products.
- Brews coffee and tea.
May set up stations with entrées, soups, salads, breads, condiments, other food products and utensils:
- Serve and replenish food from counters and steam tables (sometimes using a conveyor food-belt) and break down stations at the end of meal periods.
May interact with customers in the serving, retail and dining areas, assisting customers with opening containers and cutting food when requested.
Provides general stocking duties in service area. Keeps records for supplies and equipment as needed. May be required to restock other beverage areas.
Inspects workstations for compliance with service standards. Cleans and sanitizes work stations and equipment and must follow all City of Hope and regulatory rules and procedures.
May be responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, equipment and utensils:
- Washing dishes by hand or placing them in a dishwashing machine.
- Polishing silver and washing pots.
- Washing work tables, walls, refrigerators and meat blocks.
- Sweeping, moping, and cleaning/vacuuming floors.
- Cleaning equipment using specific chemicals to ensure sanitary standards.
- Removing trash and garbage to designated areas.
Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training. Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
May work on a trayline to distribute food.
Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures and reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of basic operation of equipment and cash-handling procedures preferred.
- Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential;
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude;
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect;
- Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers, and client representatives;
- Ability to use a computer;
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond to employees;
- Basic food handling skills;
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing;
- Maturity of judgment and behavior;
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance;
- Maintains a positive attitude;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful;
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays;
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Generally, in an indoor setting; however, may occasionally be required to work outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top