Requisition ID: 13787
Job Title: Financial Analyst
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Research Finance Financial Analyst provides financial and administrative support to the Research Finance team, as the unit performs financial management of internally and externally funded research accounts. Working under the direction of the Director of Research Finance, this position collaborates with the Research Finance team, departmental business managers, Principal Investigators, and other support units at City of Hope.
This position performs a variety of fiscal, administrative, and analytical functions, which requires knowledge of accounting principles, professional and administrative duties, and business functions in support of the day-to-day operations of Research Finance. Assists and supports the Director of Research Finance in compiling, analyzing, and interpreting financial data. Other tasks include working with Research Finance staff to resolve administrative problems, review research expenditures and financial transactions against institutional and sponsor policies, and prepare research reports.
Key Responsibilities include:
The Research Finance Financial Analyst performs a variety of duties including financial analysis and monitoring, department/program administration, and organizational support and analysis:
- Assists in the planning, preparing, and analyzing the annual research enterprise operating, extramural, and capital budgets.
- Monitors budgetary variances on a monthly basis.
- Assists in creating, managing, and budgeting various allocations and adjustments as needed.
- Address any questions regarding budget data.
- Monitors and reconciles financial transactions on designated departments and submits corrections or adjustments monthly.
- Maintains and updates startup commitments.
- Assists with monthly management reports.
- Supports special projects as needed.
- Reviews capital equipment purchase requests for accuracy and completeness. Routes request paperwork to the appropriate individuals for signature.
- Works with department and central units to ensure capital equipment is successfully processed for purchase.
- Collaborates with the Research Finance Managers and Accounting to maintain accurate inventory of all capital equipment for audit purposes.
- Assists with new PCOTR project and department setups and closures, funding issues, and extension requests.
- Address any questions regarding restricted and unrestricted gifts.
- Verifies accuracy and completeness of quarterly time and effort reports from Principal Investigators.
- Prepares and updates spreadsheet to track effort and related research activities for audit purposes.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Must have at least 3 years of related work experience.
- Demonstrated analytical capability with computer skills in Excel at an intermediate level and in other applications of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Must have good communication skills, written and oral; good inter-personal skills.
- Must have excellent multi-tasking skills and attention to detail.
Preferred Education and Skills:
- Experience working in a financial or central administration environment within a healthcare or academic organization is preferred.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top