Executive Director, Financial Accounting Shared Services
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Department of Shared Services provides a wide range of business and support services to City of Hopeâ€™s vendors, donors, and employees including faculties, nurses, administrative staff and students in high quality, effective and efficient manner across the enterprise for our Clinical, Research, Philanthropy and Administrative Operations. The department provides successful leadership and management of infrastructure functions delivering effective, efficient and value-adding services and processes to the institution that are directly aligned with patient needs.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Corporate Accounting & Operations, this position will be responsible for building service level agreements and managing resources to ensure support for all City of Hope Medical Center & Affiliates across our main hospital campus, 29 community sites as well as our research, philanthropy, and administrative locations.
The Executive Director, Shared Services is a professional who applies knowledge of the financial system, accounting guidelines and controls, budget management, as well as business practices. The position will work closely with multiple stakeholders including HR, Procurement, Philanthropy, Research, Finance and Accounting on financial close and reporting, policies & procedures, control, and compliance. This role will act as a strategic partner for the Vice President, Corporate Accounting & Operations as well as the Chief Financial Officer as it relates to the identification of system and business process improvements and the right staffing model to support City of Hope & Affiliates. The right candidate will have proven skills and the ability to manage projects from inception to completion.
This position will oversee three critical financial operation areas with the highest level of quality control over all transactions. The operation areas include Employee and Physician Payroll for 6000+ individuals including complex incentive and executive compensation plans; Accounts Payable including assisting with procurement and payment requests as well as enterprise business expense reimbursement; Gift administration responsible for daily processing for all Philanthropy contributions as well as any non-clinical cash processing for the enterprise.
The Executive Director will manage related month-end and year-end close processes, including liaison with internal and external auditors. Prepare and publish timely monthly reporting in support of financial close, management reporting as well as any necessary regulatory and compliance reporting. Develops and enhances accurate and reliable enterprise standardized financial analyses and reports. Ad-hoc reports and business insights are created by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing relevant information including historical and industry trends and performance against established service level agreements. Prepare and present presentations to executive management teams at the finance leadership, enterprise senior leadership as well as any necessary board meetings.
This position needs to develop and document business processes as well as policies and procedures to maintain and strengthen internal controls; research technical financial and accounting issues for compliance including GAAP; manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings related to these three financial operation areas. It also requires necessary recommended optimization and development changes to ERP and related financial systems. Additionally, the Executive Director will identify opportunities and makes recommendations for productivity improvements, cost savings, and revenue enhancement initiatives that support the organizationâ€™s strategic and financial goals. Gives input for establishing strategic goals and priorities based on organizational needs assessment and partner with functional leads within shared services to identify best practices and operational efficiencies.
Additionally, the Executive Director maintain financial staff by recruiting, orienting, training and mentoring employees which is a key part of the next level leadership talent development and succession planning process in Finance and Accounting.
Goals and objectives
- Responsible for setting the direction, establishing strategies, goals, and objectives of the Corporate Accounting Shared Service Team including Payroll, Accounts Payable and Gift Administration.
- Establish the optimal organizational design, processes, and procedures to achieve Corporate Accounting Shared Serviceâ€™s objectives.
- Responsible for providing timely financial reporting and analysis for all reporting entities.
Corporate Accounting & Finance Leader
- Take an active role as a business leader in the Finance organization and support the overall objectives of the business.
External relationships and knowledge
- Work jointly with Executive Director, Corporate Controller and Executive Director, Corporate Accounting representing COH with both internal and external auditors. Obtain and maintain necessary healthcare and GAAP related finance and accounting knowledge.
Leadership on cross-functional teams
- Provide strong finance and accounting leadership on cross-functional units consisting of key players within the finance leadership organization as well as external stakeholders.
Associate Hire, Training & Development
- Lead a strong Shared Service team of 28 for the centralized corporate accounting operations department that supports all COH internal & external entities. Responsible for the hiring, training, development, and coaching of staff by keeping them current on accounting principles and COH competencies. Create an environment that promotes a high performing team atmosphere with motivation to learn and grow.
Financial System Stabilization and Optimization
- Collaborate with financial system support team, IT, as well as other Finance departments on opportunities to provide effective and efficient tools utilizing ERP as well as other system automation and enhancements.
- Make recommendation to CFO, VP Corporate Accounting & Operations, as well as key finance leadership members on continuous improvement of established processes and procedures; recommend new processes to ensure that business requirements and needs are met.
Business Continuation Process
- Ensure that business continuation process is up to date, in place and can be activated if required to reduce process risk due to possible catastrophic event.
The following Pillars in Action are the behaviors that accelerate our impact as we deliver on our Vision and Strategic Priorities:
SPEED. We move with speed.
- We execute with a sense of urgency.
- We learn quickly and adjust course.
- We take ownership and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers.
FOCUS. We act with discipline and focus.
- We own City of Hopeâ€™s enterprise priorities.
- We deliver measurable results.
- We explore ideas broadly, and commit to ideas selectively.
ENTERPRISE. We behave as one enterprise.
- We work together, not in silos.
- We stand by each other and our decisions.
- We encourage innovative thinking and embrace responsible risk taking.
CONNECTEDNESS. We connect and network.
- We attract and collaborate with diverse talent.
- We connect and extend our relationships.
- We welcome and embrace external partners.
SPONSORSHIP. We trust and sponsor.
- We value and inspire each other.
- We extend trust.
- We sponsor each otherâ€™s success.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management/Administration or equivalent education; Master Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Healthcare, a plus.
- Minimum 10 years management/leadership experience in finance/accounting and/or relevant healthcare and project management experience.
- GAAP & related financial guidance and control desired.
- Business Acumen
- Problem Solving
- Building Effective Team
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Planning and Priority Setting
- Drive for Results
- Integrity and Trust
- Comfort around Higher Management
- Well-developed organizing skills to manage multiple projects and priorities;
- Exceptional management and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to motivate beyond organizational lines to successfully achieve objectives;
- Thorough professional training and expertise in accounting principles, systems and controls, and advanced analytical skills/insights;
- Strong organizational design, leadership and communication skills;
- Confidence to represent the Finance function and influence associates across all level;
- Able to identify and mitigate risks that could jeopardize City of Hope operation;
- Decision making on organizational structure, recruitment, staffing and cost of division;
- Recommendation in accounting policies, procedures, and controls for City of Hope;
- Recommend innovative changes in the measurement and the reporting of business performance that meets the dynamic needs of the enterprise.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top