Director, Research IT
Job Title:Director,Research IT
ABOUT CITY OF HOPE:
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
POSITION SUMMARY & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The purpose of this position is to ensure successful delivery of IT strategies, services and operations for all Research stakeholders within City of Hope. This includes responsibility for application selection and/or development consistent with the direction and priorities set by the Information Technology & Systems Steering Committee; operational process design/development; and planning, governance and budgetary oversight in support of strategic alignment of IT and research. The role is accountable for continued improvement and optimal delivery of technology and infrastructure required to support strategic goals for these areas. This includes having a strong understanding of the customer operations and technology needs so that this role can provide advocacy for design and development of various functions including BRM, research architecture, application support, project management and development operations, all of which will support the Research agenda.
This position will provide IT support for the following research areas: basic research conducted within the Beckman Research Institute, Hematologic Malignancies and Stem Cell Transplant Institute, clinical research conducted within the Cancer Center, Diabetes and Metabolism research, shared services, research operations, research informatics and translational research across all domains. Responsibilities will include:
- Links the research mission and strategy to IT strategy, and is responsible for the overall execution of various IT services supporting Research.
- Prioritize short and long-range goals and support the IT team to develop policies and procedures and define the necessary practices to support the vision
- Serve as the primary leader who works collaboratively with the organizational leaders to execute business goals and assess how technologies can best streamline processes and/or add business value to internal customers.
- Develop strong relationships with all levels of the management team to effectively communicate the IT Department's vision and strategic plan.
- Create a data driven organization by implementing processes with improved data collection.
- Develop and adhere to a technology budget including annual project and system/team performance goals.
- Establish metrics, key performance indicators and acceptable service level support to drive performance.
- Provide leadership to the IT Department including motivating and inspiring the team to meet department and organizational goals.
- Develop team in both leadership and technical skills.
- Drive continual improvement in quality, productivity, efficiency and cost.
- Ensure compliance with all safety regulations.
- Partner with all departments of the organization
Customer Support and Sponsorship
- Lead developing and understanding of research, education, and scientific enterprise-wide technical infrastructure needs, drive and influence process improvements at an enterprise level, manage client expectations, extract business requirements.
- Attract, retain, and develop high-quality staff with appropriate skill sets.
- Lead budget and planning efforts for Research IT budget and appropriate IMSC subcommittees
- Participate in strategic and annual planning efforts for ITS. Collaborate with organizational units responsible for research information management support and systems development, including the Departments of Population Sciences and Information Sciences, to project needs for future capacity and infrastructure.
- Negotiate key contracts and/or evaluate key terms and conditions.
- Communicate between senior management and operational/user personnel.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Master's degree within the scientific or information science area that is appropriate for the support of BRI scientists, researchers and educators; Ph.D. highly desired
- 5 or more years of experience managing a staff with multiple direct reports
Skills / Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills in planning and use of information technology in cancer research and basic sciences.
- Demonstrated experience leading, budgeting, and implementing large, complex technology projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence across all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative working relationships through listening and delivering solutions that produce positive outcomes.
- Experienced working in a highly matrixed organization
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-DA1 | *CB-DA ~dice~
Back to top