Director, Practice Management
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Responsible for strategic planning, management, development and operational performance of multi-disciplinary outpatient satellite practices. Provides leadership to multiple sites in partnership to provide quality patient care in a safe, cost effective, patient focused environment. Collaborates with physician, other health care disciplines and managed care organizations to assure optimal patient care. Manages, directs and coordinates all administrative operations and staff. Collaborates with Director of Clinical Operations in build-out of new satellite locations and operational/staff problem solving.
- Manages all personnel activities of administrative staff including medical records, medical receptionist, surgical schedulers and satellite office manager. Recruits, interview, hires, trains, evaluates and disciplines employees. Manages activities of clinical staff in the absence of the Director of Clinical Operations.
- Ensures all administrative personnel are appropriately trained
- Maintains schedules for al administrative personnel and recommends changes and improvements needed. Coordinates staffing schedules for clinical staff in the absence of the Director of Clinical Operations (DCO)
- Grants/denies personal leave time for staff according to coverage and practice policy
- Makes recommendations for highest and best use of personnel, based on licensure, certification and/or skill set.
- Conducts regular staff meeting. Documents all meetings accurately and in an organized fashion
- Oversees cross-training and education of administrative staff
- Oversees the administrative areas (reception, medical records, customer service) and coordinates their activities. Promotes cooperation of the staff to achieve department objectives and maintain good department relations.
- Assigns work to staff
- Provides direction
- Review work appropriately
- Ensures that department is run efficiently and in an organized fashion
- Effectively monitors departmental productivity and workflow
- Responds promptly to changes in workload or staffing assignments as necessary to achieve optimal productivity and efficiency considering staff skills and experience.
- Considers the needs of the department when making important decisions
- Consults with Chief Operations Officer when determining staff needs. Assigns personnel duties in their assigned areas and makes adjustments for special request or unusual circumstances.
- Communicates effectively, follows chain of command when any questions arise and when any conflicts occur
- Communicates observations or concerns in a timely manner
- Establishes positive communication and effective working relationships. Uses appropriate lines of authority
- Interactions with others are effective; information is exchanged readily in a format that is clear and concise.
- Assesses and evaluates patient flow in clinical practice sites â€ recommends and implements changes for quality service and care in collaboration with DCO.
- Collaborates with DCO, physicians and managers to plan and execute process changes that improve patient care services and patient management.
- In collaboration with DCO, develops written protocols for patient care standards with approval from Medical Director and Chief Operations Officer
- Investigates complaints of patients, patientsâ€™ families, nursing staff, medical staff, clerical staff and administration and takes appropriate action; follows-up to ensure that complaints have been satisfactorily handled
- Responds to all task or performance-related questions patiently and thoroughly, providing context as well as direction
- Communicates clearly and tactfully with patients, their families and/or significant others
- Practices positive patient relations and demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patient/family rights
- Effectively problem solves in a positive manner
- Participates in continuing education programs specific to customer services in relation to patient care
- Reviews physician schedules periodically to maximize physician efficiency and productivity; coordinates changes with clinical staff and department managers
- Request and establishes operating room block time from community hospital for surgical staff as needed.
- Ensures the practice adheres to all applicable OSHA/CLIA/COLA standards
- Directs the ordering of all administrative supplies â€ develops effective inventory control systems
- Makes recommendations for purchase of capital equipment to Medical Director and COO
- Ensures the practice complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures according to state and federal law.
- Maintains current federal, state, county and local license, survey, inspections and certifications as required by regulatory bodies for all satellite locations. These include business licenses, fire safety inspections, OSHA equipment inspections and laboratory surveys.
- Directs surveys required and scheduled by city, county, state and federal inspectors, including COLA inspections
- Consults with Medical Director concerning management of assigned area and all related matters
- Ensures that department is run efficiently in absence of Medical Director
- Communicates effectively with others if questions arise and when conflicts occur
- Communicates relevant issues to Medical Director and other staff members
- Cooperates with other personnel to achieve departmental goals, objective and maintains good employee relations
- Demonstrates attitude of cooperation and professionalism
- Maintains harmonious relationship with co-workers, physicians, visiting consultants and CCSMG staff
- Provides support, assistance and leadership to co-workersâ€™ to ensure quality patient care
- Seeks appropriate input from COO and/or Medical Director on interpersonal relationships that will affect center harmony and patient care
- Participates in continuing education programs in OSHA/CLIA/COLA guidelines
- Adheres to all office policies and procedures
- Continually demonstrates good communication skills with all
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations
- Assists in identification of staff development and training needs; makes recommendations for work simplification and standardization of activities
- Effectively determines staff training needs and schedules in-service education programs
- Evaluates alternative methods to decrease costs without compromising care
- Identifies areas where procedure or policy may need to be changed or revised
- Observes and monitors staff performance and evaluates performance. Provides feedback to Medical Director and/or COO
- Ensures OSHA policy and procedure manuals are up to date and that all staff receives adequate training and documentation of training
- Provides direction and leadership to staff. Assists staff in developing solutions to problems as necessary
- Serves as a role model by providing technical expertise, coaching, counseling and leadership
- Sets and reviews performance evaluation/standards on a regular basis, considering company policy, departmental needs and individual employee skill level
- Serves as an efficient resources to other employees
- Sets goals and objectives consistent with organization goals and develops effective action plans for their achievement
- Continually updates knowledge of new techniques, software programs and equipment, avoiding adverse consequences.
- Seeks opportunities to expand knowledge base
- Demonstrates accurate knowledge of relevant laws, policies, regulations and standards. Keeps manuals up-to-date. Is alert to changes in regulations and responds immediately to meet them.
- Follows established CCSMG policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines
- Directly responsible for cost control of supply inventory for administrative areas. Assures that administrative supplies, forms are always stocked and available.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality
- Attends all regular meeting
- Performs all other tasks and projects assigned by the Medical Director, COO and CEO
- Utilizes leadership skills in overseeing and assisting members of the health care team to prioritize and resolve issues
- Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriate care and positive working relationships
- Displays courtesy and professionalism in dealing with CCSMG employees, patients, visitors and/or vendors
- Acts as an advocate for CCSMG at conferences and meetings
- Fosters and promotes a positive and professional appearance
- Assists in developing satellite location budgets, considering fiscal and capital needs. Monitors variance against budget on an ongoing basis
- Maintains reports and collect statistical data for administrative, financial and regulatory purposes
- Regularly reviews copay, patient financial responsibility and demographic reports for all satellite locations and distributes to appropriate staff
- Reviews daily charges in EMR and updates charges as required by corporate billing office
- Invoices community hospitals for physician-contracted services; records payments and forwards to corporate office
- Approves all administrative invoices
- Maintains accurate time-keeping for physicians
- In collaboration with CEO, COO, Executive Medical Director, Medical Director and Director of Clinical Operation, interviews for new satellite physician positions
- Performs orientation and provides new physician with marketing materials and strategies to grow their practice within CCSMG
- Promotes CCSMG physicians, surgeons and services to outside medical groups, agencies and community healthcare providers in individual meetings and physician group presentations
- Maintains locum tenens contracts and prepares invoicing
- Directs relocation of offices/practices when required including directing physical move, purchasing furnishing and coordinating all communication equipment and software with IT department
- Participates in strategic planning, design of new space, program growth and acquisition and development of new programs
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
The position directly supervises:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree
- Experience may substitute for educational requirements
- Five (5) to seven (7) progressive management experience and five (5) to seven (7) years experience in an ambulatory setting. Experience to include working in a medical/hospital setting with physicians and high level executives for strategic planning, operations and problem solving.
- Experience with utilization review, quality assurance and managed care process. Experience communicating and interacting with physicians and executives. Understanding of OSHA guidelines for ambulatory practices.
- Knowledge of billing and coding guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability and extensive knowledge of the healthcare industry including managed care, finance, physician practice management, recruiting, marketing, credentialing, medical office leasing/build-outs and problem solving.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan and carry out responsibilities with supervision
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) experience preferred
- Computer literate with keyboard skills
- Computer peripheral equipment
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Work is performed in an office setting and involves frequent contact with patients and doctors. Work may be stressful at times. The employee must be comfortable asking patient for money. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive. Contact involves dealing with ill patients.
- Work may require sitting for long periods of time; and also stopping, bending and stretching for files and supplies. Employee will occasionally be asked to lift files or paper weighing up to 30 pounds. Position requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, computer, telephone, calculator, copier and such other office equipment as necessary. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 and hearing must be in the normal range for telephone contacts. Position also requires viewing computer screens and typing for long periods of time. Employee may work under stressful conditions and work irregular hours.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments.
- Pleasant speaking voice and demeanor
- Neat and professional appearance
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top