Director of ORIEN Informatics
The Director of ORIEN Informatics will be responsible for:
- Connecting City of Hope Informatics with ORIEN/M2Gen Informatics teams and identifying synergies for applied research development
- Develop and promote the use of ORIEN Avatar IT tools and data
- Collect and understand City of Hope’s informatics needs and develop new Avatar IT applications to better support researchers across academic cancer centers
While the majority of this position’s time will be developing Avatar IT tools and platforms, this position will also provide training to City of Hope researchers / bioinformaticians to fully utilize the power of ORIEN data and tools and share innovation and best practices between the two organizations.
The successful candidate should be an experienced biomedical informatician and an out-of-the-box thinker. He/she should be able to direct and develop agile methodologies with emphasis on applied research and real world data learning. The candidate should have a proven track record working with Pharma clients to demonstrate the use of real world data for applications like biomarker discovery and clinical trial designs.
Deep expertise in: programming languages like R/Perl; bioinformatics packages and databases; visualization tools like Qlik/Tableau; and bioinformatics platforms like DNANexus / BaseSpace. Ability to integrate across clinical, RNASeq and variants is important. Familiarity with cloud based platforms like AWS is required.
- Address key challenges of Hospitals and Biopharmaceutical companies by developing ORIEN Avatar architecture and tools.
- Process, manage, and integrate clinical and molecular datasets to be included into ORIEN Avatar.
- Develop tailored use-cases to demonstrate the value of ORIEN to potential Pharmaceutical sponsors and other ORIEN collaborators.
- Disseminate ORIEN informatics best practices, and oversee implementation of ORIEN architecture and tools at City of Hope.
- Collaborate with Research Informatics group at City of Hope to contribute to the bioinformatics, data science, and clinical applications
- Masters or doctoral level education in bioinformatics or related field
- At least twelve (12) years of hands on experience in bioinformatics, supporting research environment
- Demonstrated ability to design and create informatics platform for applications like Biomarker discovery, Clinical trial design and Post Market Research.
- Demonstrated ability to build scientific and clinical use-cases to demonstrate the value of real world data for drug discovery and improved clinical outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in Integrative data analysis using phenotypic, genotypic, and drug development datasets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate at various levels in the organization and across disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, conceptualizing and applying new methods towards concrete scientific goals.
- Expertise in bioinformatics packages and databases related to NGS; visualization tools like Qlik/Tableau; bioinformatics platforms like DNANexus/BaseSpace; and programming languages like R/Perl. Familiarity with cloud based platforms like AWS is required
ABOUT CITY OF HOPE:
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. *LI-DA | *CB-DA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top