Director, Library Services
The Director, Library Services provides leadership and oversight for the Library Services Department, which includes the Graff Library and City of Hope Archives. Core functions include:
- Create a vision for library services at City of Hope. Provide leadership for the department, including communicating a vision for library and archives programs that aligns with the City of Hope educational strategic plan and supports the clinical, research, and educational missions.
- Prepare and manage the department budget, ensuring that financial expenditures are aligned with the mission, goals, and strategic initiatives of the department and organization. Provide metrics to build a business case for subscription and infrastructure needs, mindful of the strategic priority to build efficiencies.
- Recruit, lead, and develop staff in a way that fosters engagement and high performance. Create and communicate clear performance metrics, accountabilities and plans to develop staff. Create succession plans for all staff positions.
- Lead the department’s strategic planning, working with the staff to identify strategic directions, goals, and objectives aligned with stakeholder needs and the mission, goals, and strategic initiatives of the organization. Develop effective assessment tools, strategies and programs to continuously monitor and improve service. Develop and implement innovative licensing, technology and access models to serve constituencies.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to integrate library and archives resources and services into campus initiatives.
- Develop policies and procedures for the department.
- Promote the library to the campus and community through the use of social media, websites, newsletters and attendance at events and meetings. Manage marketing and communication for the library.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with staff, stakeholders, senior leadership, and library users.
- Oversee and support the day-to-day operations of the library.
- Provide excellent service to internal and external customers.
Create, develop and communicate a clear vision that is aligned to the City of Hope strategic plan; prepare strategic plans, goals, and objectives; ensure that library activities are aligned with stakeholder needs and the mission, goals, and strategic initiatives of the organization.
- Develop, and manage the Library Services budget
- Track expenses against budget targets to eliminate variances
- Ensure that the department’s expenditures are aligned with department and institutional priorities
- Manage all financial transactions and operations in accordance with City of Hope policies and procedures
- Supervise, evaluate, and develop staff.
- Ensure staffing levels are optimally maintained and effective; with sufficient cross training toprovide adequate coverage for critical support activities in times of unanticipated staff shortages.
- Develop and implement performance metrics and accountabilities.
- Develop a culture of engagement and accountability.
- Create succession plans for all staff positions.
- Provide reference, research services, and training to library users throughout the organization
Collection Development and Management
- Select and license electronic and print resources; ensure that the library collection meets the needs of users; ensure that library resources are readily available to users through library systems and access tools; regularly review and update the collection.
Marketing and Outreach
- Promote the library to the campus and community through the use of social media, websites, newsletters and attendance at events and meetings. Manage marketing and communication for the library. Collaborate with Philanthropy & External Relations staff to support fundraising for the library.
- Oversee all aspects of library operations: reference, outreach, training, interlibrary loan and document delivery, collection development, acquisitions, cataloging, and payment processing
- Work with staff to develop efficient workflows and processes for all library functions
- Ensure that the Graff Library and City of Hope Archives deliver excellent customer service
- Manage the Graff Library building
- Provide high level reference, research services, and training to library users throughout the organization.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by upper management.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master of Library & Information Science (MLIS) or equivalent degree
- At least 7 years progressively responsible experience in an academic and/or biomedical library
- Skills/Abilities: Experience developing and managing budgets. Familiar with ROI analysis and use of metrics to build a business case for needs and to build efficiencies.
- Seasoned supervisor: familiar with performance metrics and development tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience selecting and licensing biomedical information resources.
- Must be able to meet expectations in a changing environment.
- Must be cognizant of interdependencies between departments at City of Hope so that interaction is indicative of high performing teamwork.
- Demonstrated knowledge of biomedical library operations in a variety of functional areas, including reference, collection development, interlibrary loan/document delivery, technical services, and systems
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Must be able to work closely and effectively with a diverse group of staff and administrators; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
- Must be able to articulate a clear vision for library and archival services in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing biomedical environment
- Must understand how to build and maintain a high-performance team and foster a positive, inclusive, collaborative work environment that leverages the skills and abilities of all levels of staff
- Exhibits flexibility while influencing others to improve processes and implement changes.
- Understands leadership and how to guide employees through planning and implementing changes.
- Anticipates needs, responds quickly, provides guidance and support, monitors and follows up as required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Expresses commitment to City of Hope’s mission, identifies with the mission and values.
- Familiarity with software and electronic resources commonly used in biomedical libraries (e.g. integrated library systems, document delivery management systems, databases, electronic journals, electronic books)
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top