Director, Clinical Research Billing
The Director of Clinical Research Billing supports translational and clinical research, serving as a principal advisor to the Senior Director of Clinical Research Services on matters related to clinical trials finance.
In addition to overseeing financial management of City of Hope’s clinical trials, primary responsibilities include creation and implementation of policies, procedures, and internal controls. S/he works closely with research and finance leadership to ensure achievement of financial performance goals as well as the long-term growth objectives of City of Hope’s clinical research enterprise. S/he will be a financial professional with a proven track record of success financially managing clinical trials/research and possess significant managerial experience, preferably in an academic or non-profit space. S/he will possess a bachelor’s degree, with an MBA or CPA preferred.
CLINICAL TRIALS FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Leads financial management of City of Hope’s internal, industry, and sponsor-supported clinical trials, including project setup, invoicing, expense allocation, project financial management and project closeout.
- Creation and implementation of policies, procedures, and internal controls for clinical research financial management.
- Interacts, establishes cooperative working relationships, and communicates effectively with co-workers and personnel in other departments, particularly Medical Center Clinical Departments, Clinical Trials Support Services, Clinical Trials Office, and Patient Financial Services.
CLINICAL TRIALS POLICY MANAGEMENT
- Create and implement policies, procedures, and internal controls for clinical research financial management.
- Assist with interpretation of policies and procedures, both sponsor and Institutional, as they relate to compliance with laws, Medicare Coverage Analysis, National Coverage Decision, statutes and regulations dealing with clinical trial billing issues.
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Actively participate in enterprise-wide system improvement initiatives and represent business area in large-scale IT implementations such as EPIC and OnCore.
- Assist with ongoing review of internal processes to streamline or create new more efficient processes; assist in executing process changes and assist with overseeing to completion.
- Analyze and document clinical research business processes in order to develop strong electronic workflow and corresponding system procedural documentation.
- Work with other departments to ensure compliance with sponsor regulations, streamline workflows, and improve processes to improve efficiencies while maintaining an atmosphere that fosters the research mission of the organization.
- Manage other critical day-to-day compliance and operational processes for the clinical research enterprise, including: expense review/approval, patient reimbursements, etc.
- Interact, establish cooperative working relationships, and communicate effectively with co-workers and personnel in other departments, particularly Patient Financial Services, Regulatory Support Services, Corporate Accounting, Office of Sponsored Research, Clinical Trials Support Services, and Office of Shared Resources.
- Prepare special analyses and reports for Senior Director of Clinical Research Billing and Sr. VP, Research Operations.
- Participate in high level meetings to meet the Strategic goals of Research.
- Represent the organization in various civic, community and professional organizations at the local, state, and national level as required. Establishes working relationships with appropriate organizations and individuals.
- Maintain professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise.
- Provide guidance and leadership to subordinates and to departmental business personnel to increase the competencies of the organization and to ensure compliance with regulations and internal policies
- Provide leadership in the recruitment, selection, evaluation and development of key staff in the units.
The position directly supervises:
- Senior Accounting Analyst, CTSS (3)
- Research Finance Manager (1)
- Administrative Analyst
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum five to seven years of progressive clinical trial financial management experience in a large, complex organization. MBA or CPA preferred.
- Sound financial background in an academic or non-profit setting.
- Experience at a non-profit and/or higher education medical center is preferred.
- Experience with Epic EHR system and OnCore CRMS is preferred.
- Strong experience financially managing a large portfolio of industry-sponsored and non-industry sponsored clinical trials.
- Strong knowledge of clinical research, including medicare coverage analyses and clinical trials budgeting and federal guidelines/regulations pertaining to clinical research.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Electronic Health Records System and Clinical Research Management System.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
- Must have the ability to work closely and effectively with a diverse group of administrators; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
- Expresses commitment to City of Hope’s mission, personally identifies with its vision and takes pride in shared success.
- Exhibits flexibility while influencing others to improve processes and implement changes.
- Anticipates needs, responds quickly, provides guidance and support, monitors and follows up as required.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top