Data Warehouse Architect
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
This position designs, organizes, and enables delivery of standard health data generated from the clinical, research, and business/finance information systems from all available City of Hope enterprise applications and database systems. The Enterprise Data Architect will understand City of Hope's strategic goals and objectives and will enhance City of Hope's ability to use data to achieve these goals. This position will work closely with clinicians, researchers, and business leaders across the City of Hope enterprise to understand their data needs. This position will ensure that the design of data systems, including the Enterprise Data Warehouse, represents these needs and is optimal in order to achieve Clinical, Business and Research goals and outcomes. This position will be responsible for the design of data architectures information systems through designing data models, standard terminologies, metadata and clinical decision support elements. This role will use enterprise development, testing and analysis tools including SQL, ETL (Enterprise-Transform-Load), DVO (Informatica PowerCenter Data Validation Option), MDM (Master Data Management), Business Glossary, Meta-data, Data Lineage, Data Masking, Quality, CDC (Change Data Capture), and enterprise modeling tools. In addition, this role will be responsible for integration of City of Hope data with standard terminology sets such as CPT, SNOMED, ICD9/10, and RxNorm. This role will use data integration, transformation, analysis, and query tools to help members of City of Hope with clinical, research and business analysis of data. Through an understanding of this data, this position will design architectures, and federate data from large enterprise systems and make that data available for informed decision making, reporting, analysis, and data mining.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Data integration using enterprise development toolsets (e.g. ETL, MDM, Quality, CDC, Data Masking, Quality)
- Develop and maintain the overall City of Hope data architecture model
- Responsible for data integration architecture, development, testing, data quality, and on-going auditing.
- Conducts detailed requirements gathering and analyzes information obtained to translate customers' objectives into a detailed technical implementation plan.
- Designs and supports multi-dimensional models, including the construction of data views, dimensions, measures, filters, hierarchies and cubes while adhering to standard development methodologies.
- Serve as an expert resource and consultant for all areas of data warehousing and integration with regard to data collection, standards, management, governance, retrieval and use as well as design and use of data elements and tools.
- Provides data modeling and architecture expertise for complex projects.
- Collaborates with data architects, database administrators and other team members to understand dimensional requirements and translate into functional specifications.
- Designs data marts and develops scheduled and ad-hoc parameterized queries and reports from a variety of data sources and provides on-going analytical support for these requests. Converts existing reporting tools to a standardized reporting infrastructure.
- Accurately scopes, defines and estimates work effort and resource plan for assigned projects.
- Determine testing needed to assure the accuracy of information being delivered by creating test plans and evaluate testing results.
- Identify data quality issues and support the data governance initiative by participating in necessary activities including data profiling.
- Forecast and analyze data and trends to create reports that highlight areas needing improvement.
- Participates in On Call after hours support (24/7) coverage as required.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in a Health Science, Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline
5 years of demonstrated expert knowledge developing SQL, stored procedures, views, MDM (Master Data Management), and ETL (Extract Transform, Load).
- 5 years of experience with data aspects of information system design, modeling, and implementation
- 5 years of experience relational and dimensional data modeling - including constructing database normalization; utilizing data modeling tools to record, update, reverse engineer and generate DDL; creating logical and physical data models for current and proposed states
- 5 years demonstrated experience and expert knowledge supporting statistical and predictive analytic modeling with large datasets.
- 3 or more years of data or information architecture experience in an enterprise environment (prefer healthcare and clinical research).
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Demonstrated expert knowledge developing SQL, stored procedures, views, MDM (Master Data Management), and ETL (Extract Transform, Load).
- Expert demonstrated knowledge writing / understanding SQL queries and stored procedures; MS SQL/ Oracle experience preferred
- Knowledge of Data Governance and Data Stewardship principles and processes.
- Knowledge and experience with Data Quality concepts and tools.
- Proficient at performance tuning techniques both Informatica and database level
- Knowledge of OS command line and scripting techniques
- Experience with non-relational data sources (flat file, XML, CACHE, unstructured, etc)
- Experience with data mining and analysis
- Implementation of decision support elements in information systems including rules and alerts.
- Experience in enterprise data management processes
- Strong understanding of relational, dimensional and object-oriented data structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Strong familiarity with master data and metadata management and associated processes.
- Hands-on knowledge of enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, data profiling tools, and data and information system life cycle methodologies.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
- Understanding of Healthcare Data Interoperability standards (HL7, RIM)
- Understanding of metadata standards (Dublin Core, SKOS) preferred
- Excellent communication skills including ability to understand user requirements and to facilitate user understanding of enterprise data.
- A working understanding of data privacy standards and regulations. (e.g. PHI and HIPAA).
Preferred Software experience:
- Informatica PowerCenter 9.x
- Informatica PowerExchange 9.x
- Informatica Data Quality (IDQ) 9.x - Developer/Data Analyst /Business Glossary
- Informatica Master Data Management 9.x - Hub and Data Director (IDD) Informatica DVO (Data Validation Option)
- SQL client tool(s) such as SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio), Toad, SQL Developer, Erwin
- Relational databases and SQL Query/SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)
- Crystal skills preferred
- Windows / Microsoft Office
- Project Management Software
- Eclipsys/Allscripts, i2b2
- Programming skills and experience in Visual Studio.NET and other object oriented environments is a plus.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top