Data Manager-IS (ORIEN)
The Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN) Data Manager will work in collaboration with the Precision Medicine Project Manager and the Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) II – ORIEN Project to support the operational infrastructure of the City of Hope’s ORIEN initiative. In this capacity, the ORIEN Data Manager will assist the Total Cancer Care (TCC) consenting process as needed, manage accessions into the clinical trial management system, and coordinate consent mailings and follow-ups. In addition, this position will support the ORIEN Avatar project by performing time-critical and detailed clinical data abstraction on eligible, consented patients. This position will collaborate with Research Informatics, Cancer Registry, and others to develop and implement data transfer of TCC data to M2Gen. He/she will review data for consent, Cancer Registry, tissue and blood data transfers to ensure data meets ORIEN’s quality standards. In addition, he/she will work with Principal Investigators, the Precision Medicine Project Manager, the CRC II – ORIEN Project, and M2Gen to help facilitate future projects; this includes assistance on case finding, data abstraction, disease team presentations, and regulatory submissions.
- The ORIEN Data Manager plays a key role in the support of the ORIEN Avatar project, and other future ORIEN projects, by performing detailed and accurate data abstraction to assist in the determination of patient eligibility for clinical trials and related projects. He/she tracks the Avatar eligibility status of TCC-consented patients, provides timely data entry, and completes follow-up data, per prescribed intervals, as detailed in the ORIEN Avatar workflows.
- Collaborates with the Precision Medicine Project Manager, clinical managers and staff to integrate consenters into clinics, develop consent workflows, and support TCC operations. Meets regularly with clinical staff (nursing and registration) to ensure smooth consent workflows and to troubleshoot issues as they arise. Works closely with consent team members , and makes sure consenters are added to the protocol and obtain appropriate system permissions. Attends and participates in meetings as required.
- Coordinates processing, handling and shipping of specimens for analysis, tracks chain of custody and viability of selected specimens. Ensures proper labeling and obtains pertinent clinical and protocol information on request forms. Develops and maintains knowledge of various aspects of processing specimens, paying particular attention to safety practices.
- Maintains current and accurate protocol documentation and assists investigators with IRB submissions and renewals, recommends and incorporates all pertinent protocol changes and amendments. Submits and tracks new protocol/project submissions to disease teams and IRB. Reviews and abstracts data for ORIEN inter-member projects/protocols.
- Tracks and enters data related to patient consent status into City of Hope’s clinical trial management system, responsible for consent mailings and follow-ups. Collaborates with Research Informatics, Cancer Registry, and M2Gen to facilitate and coordinate submission of patient data to M2Gen. Oversees quality checking of consent data, monitors consent rates and addresses issues/re-educates based on trends. Tracks weekly dashboard of consent rates and tissues/blood sample collection rates. Responsible for data file transmission to ORIEN related to TCC protocol.
- Serves as a liaison between consenters, physicians, ORIEN members, M2Gen to facilitate ORIEN inter-member projects/protocols. Submits and tracks new protocol submissions as needed.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations. Keeps abreast of latest trends in the field of expertise.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- One year experience as a Clinical Research Associate/Coordinator, Research Quality Monitor, or in a related area in data management working in a health care setting, preferably in research is preferred.
- Ability to read, identify and extract pertinent data from medical record required.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend medical terminology.
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent reading comprehension.
- Experience with word-processing software, required. Experience with A2K, CareNet, Epic, Excel, Internet and Oacis is preferred.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top