DAC Mobile Operations Tech
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Assists in the daily operation of the Donor/Apheresis Center and oversight of bloodmobile and mobile logistics including loading/unloading, transporting, ordering, packaging and inventorying supplies, equipment and specimens. Drives City of Hope vehicles including passenger vans, box truck, and bloodmobile. Supports the operation of mobile blood drives. Responsible for set up of bloodmobile at blood drive or drive equipment for inside set up blood drives off site. Evaluates potential bloodmobile sites for accessibility of 40’ long bloodmobile and set up requirements. Assists with required quality control checks of equipment and occasionally assists with or performs validation of equipment. Anticipates mobile activities including projected volume of blood drives as it affects supplies and equipment needed and operability of all equipment. Completes and maintains thorough documentation of records for which the position is responsible, including electronic records. Maintains organization and stocking levels of all supplies used in the operation of the Donor/Apheresis Center. . Demonstrates a responsible, caring and professional manner at all times.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Drives large vehicles to and from blood drives including 39’ bus and 20’ box truck with hydraulic lift gate. Responsible for all set up of bloodmobile including parking, use of hydraulic leveling jacks, generator, internal systems use, awning deployment and exhaust diversion.
- Conducts bloodmobile inspection and completes the pre and post checklist before each use.
- Packs equipment and supplies for blood drives according to checklist and projected volume of collections, ensuring adequate quantities of supplies. Must also refer to schedule and project and prepare supply/equipment needs for consecutive drives, especially if there is not a tech scheduled to restock between scheduled drives.
- Assumes responsibility for timely transport and setup of mobile blood drive equipment and supplies.
- Maintains inventory of supplies on mobile blood drive carts, bins, and vehicles.
- Responsible for the packing, loading, and transporting of large quantities of blood products from mobile blood drives to COH blood bank. Since products are time and temperature sensitive, this has to be done with the utmost care and adherence to standard operating procedures.
- Performs “pre-evaluation” of sites and routes where bloodmobile will be used if site has not been used previously for bloodmobile. Evaluation done in accordance with Bloodmobile Operation and Set Up SOP.
- Assists in the coordination and follow through of bloodmobile and vehicle maintenance.
- In-center, transports supplies, equipment, specimens, reports, and other materials, in response to instruction or page between Donor Center, Blood Bank, Stem Cell Processing Laboratory, hospital, and patient rooms as needed.
- Assists Therapeutic Apheresis staff as needed or requested.
- Maintains an adequate supply of materials and supplies to meet area needs including inventory control, proper labeling and labeling of packages. Enters critical supplies information into electronic donor management information system.
- Assists in setting up, priming and dismantling apheresis kits for cell separators. Also ensures there are an adequate supply of kits in storerooms available for daily use.
- If trained and qualified, assists with donor collection process as directed by Charge Nurse.
- Assists with regular quality control testing and validation of equipment.
- Assists with the care and maintenance of department equipment; reporting faulty equipment and requesting repair service as needed and per SOP.
- Responsible for reporting deficiencies in procedures.
- Requests, orders, stocks, and inventories supplies as necessary to keep materials on hand at all times. Assesses utilization and recommends changes and/or needs in stock levels to supervisor.
- Clean up blood spills, as needed and/or necessary, using proper protective equipment and procedures.
- Carries pager at all times and responds to pages as soon as possible.
- Maintains work area, records, and equipment per department protocol.
- Interacts, establishes cooperative working relationships, and communicates effectively with coworkers.
- Prioritizes workflow, completes work in a timely manner.
- Reviews pertinent department Standard Operating Procedures annually and as needed.
- Maintains annual safety certification.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School or equivalent.
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- One year related experience, preferably in a hospital or blood center setting, including driving large vehicles (20-40 ft), bus or truck.
- Valid CA Driver’s License with good driving record.
- CPR certification within six months of hire.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top