Cook I - Per Diem
- Duarte, CA
The Cook I will accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, cook, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for various meal periods: to include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Special/Catered Meals. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but City of Hope may identify other responsibilities of the position.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Prepares and cooks ‘to order’ foods that may require short preparation time.
- May prepare food and serve customers at an a la carte and may operate a grill station.
- Prepares food in accordance with current applicable federal, state and City of Hope standards, guidelines and regulations to ensure high-quality food service is provided.
- Reads food order or receives verbal instructions on food required by patron and prepares and cooks food according to instructions.
- May prepare meals for customers requiring special diets.
- Follows basic recipes and/or product directions for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, carving and serving soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other foodstuffs for consumption in eating establishments.
- Prepares foods under direct supervision or instruction by operating a variety of kitchen equipment to measure and mix ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits and vegetables, and trimming and cutting meat, poultry or fish for culinary use. May produce some batch goods using basic cooking techniques.
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps records to accurately plan production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment. May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and must follow all City of Hope and regulatory rules and procedures.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training. Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated. May receive inventory and move/lift foodstuffs and supplies. Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures and reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- 0 to 2 years of related work experience.
- Knowledge of basic operation of equipment and cash-handling procedures preferred.
- Ability to use a computer;
- Good working knowledge of food preparation;
- Requires familiarity of kitchen equipment;
- Must be able to read and follow a recipe unsupervised.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
- Generally, in an indoor setting; however, may occasionally be required to work outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Back to top