Contact Center Rep III
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Performs necessary duties in answering a heavy volume of telephone calls; scheduling clinic appointments, ancillary tests and labs using established scheduling guidelines; relaying incoming and outgoing telephone calls; and in facilitating internal communication within the Medical Center and its community practices. Responds to calls from a variety of medical departments and City of Hope call centers from existing patients inquiring about their care and treatment at City of Hope, as well as from prospective patients inquiring about City of Hope services. Answers telephone calls, processes referral calls appropriately, as directed by department polices and business rules. Identifies crisis situations, elicits key information, and manages the call accordingly. Collects relevant caller data accurately and quickly during the telephone conversation.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Answer heavy volume of monitored and recorded telephone calls: relays incoming calls/messages; coordinates appointment scheduling with doctors, staff, nurses, patients and other medical departments over the phone. Responsible for calling back patients and rescheduling clinic cancellations. Documents phone call using sales force and schedules appointments in EPIC/Salesforce.
- Schedules Consults, labs, ancillary test, and follow ups in EPIC/Salesforce and other systems.
- Use problem solving and critical thinking skills to follow up with patient on scheduling related issues or communicating when they can expect to receive a call back from providers, extenders or nursing staff.
- Provides services that are accurate, reliable, courteous and timely within established service levels. Identifies patients in crisis with urgent clinical needs and refers appropriately.
- Schedules patient appointments for clinic, infusion and/or diagnostic services as directed by the provider requests. Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the flow of the patient scheduling process within the paper and electronic environments. As applicable collaborates with other departments to schedule complex appointment types.
- Demonstrates accuracy and completeness in handling calls. Escalates issues in a timely manner to direct supervisor as applicable.
- Creates pre-registration record and links pre-registration record to scheduled appointments. Assures that the correct pre-registration visit encounter type is linked to the scheduled appointment. Runs Real Time Eligibility (RTE) and notates accurate information within the EHR system.
- Creates a request for authorization of service and Letter of Agreement (LOA) is applicable. Assures that all pertinent information in included in the authorization request so that the patient financial staff can complete the authorization request as needed.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years related experience in a medical office/healthcare setting or in a call/contact center.
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Medical assistant certification.
- Two years of experience with patient scheduling, as a medical assistant, or unit clerk experience.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top