Clinical Risk Manager
Requisition ID: 10458
Job Title: Clinical Risk Manager
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
The Clinical Risk Manager is accountable to the Senior Director of Quality and Patient Safety, and works closely with the Medical Staff, Nursing and Ancillary Leadership to provide leadership, expertise, and coordination for Enterprise clinical risk and patient safety according to the goals as set by the Board of Directors. Provides leadership and influence with the development, planning, coordination and administration of a systematic program designed to promote high reliability and reduce risk and injury. Analyzes clinical risk management data, develops and conducts clinical risk educational programs, complying with clinical risk management related standards by Joint Commission and other regulatory agencies. Responsible to effect change through promoting patient safety, enhancing quality care and minimizing clinical loss to protect the assets of the organization. Drives process improvements with multidisciplinary teams to achieve the institutions' mission and vision for the highest level of safety, speed, and efficiency for patient care.
The Clinical Risk Manager is accountable to the Senior Director of Quality/Patient Safety to provide leadership for hospital clinical risk management and patient safety preparedness according to the goals set by the Board of Directors. Provides input for clinical risk and safety functions on an Enterprise wide basis relative to outside accreditations and regulations including CAP, FACT, Joint Commission, CDPH and CMS. Assesses the ongoing culture of high reliability and leads actions to strengthen it. Proactively coordinates hazard vulnerability assessments; Leads the root cause analyses to identify opportunities for improvement and eliminate deficiencies that may adversely affect patients, visitors and employees; Conducts FMEAs; Deploys lean tools to streamline processes; Provides input to the policy and procedure process.
- Develops and manages a clinical risk program for Enterprise operations, departments and services.
- Reviews and revises the clinical risk management program at least biannually.
- Maintains the incident reporting system.Collects, evaluates, and reports on events and incidents.Performs statistical analysis and trending of events and leads the proactive assessment and develops mitigation and sustainable strategies for clinical risk vulnerabilities.
- Reports trended data and mitigation actions to the appropriate committees, departments and individuals
- Educates and assists other managers in assessing their areas of responsibility for exposures to loss and unsafe processes and conditions.
- Investigates all serious events.Assists with communication and documentation of errors or serious events in accordance with legal requirements and/or accreditation standards.
- Coordinates or conducts annual proactive risk assessments to identify opportunities to improve reliability in processes and reduce risk.
- Leads the Failure Mode Effect Analyses and Root Cause Analyses investigations and develops action oriented recommendations to correct and/or eliminate deficiencies that may adversely affect patients, visitors and staff.
- Leads the product recall program (except for pharmaceuticals and blood products) and ensure robust participation to reduce the likelihood that problem products are utilized in the clinical setting.
- Coordinates clinical risk orientation and continuing education programs for providers, management and staff to enhance awareness of their role in high reliability, just culture, patient safety, clinical risk reduction and event reporting.
- Participates in Safe Patient Team and other committees as needed to communicate findings, recommendations, actions and results.
- Ensures compliance s with various codes, laws, rules and regulations concerning patient care/safety, including those mandates by state and federal agencies.
- Assists administration in the review of clinical contracts to ensure that the language and insurance coverage protects the organizations from liability.
- Provides clinical risk management information on medical and allied health staff to Medical Staff Services for use in the credentialing process.
- Reviews patient complaints and works with the Manager of Patient Advocacy to offer solutions to patient grievances.
- Liaison with attorneys for discovery and coordinating depositions.
- Collaborates with the Quality and Regulatory staff in matters related to regulatory compliance, policy planning and implementation.
- Collaborates with the development and revisions of policy and procedures as requested.
- Assesses the ongoing culture of safety and leads actions to strengthen the culture.
Demonstrates excellent communication/interpersonal skills; ability to problem solve, analyze situation, think critically, give constructive feedback and supervise and team with other
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
BA, BSN or BS degree in Healthcare/Biological Science
5 years of clinical acute care experience
3 years of experience in an administrative, consultative or managerial capacity
Masters in Nursing or related healthcare field
CA RN License
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. #LI-RA #CB-RA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top