Clinical Research Billing Manager
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Requisition ID: 10448
Job Title: Clinical Research Billing Manager
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
The Clinical Research Billing Manager will maintain in-depth understanding of the business drivers and organizational strategic directions pertaining to clinical research at City of Hope. S/he will be highly motivated, creative and offer innovative solutions to streamline processes involving financial management of clinical trials. S/he works closely with research and finance leadership to ensure achievement of financial performance goals as well as the long-term growth objectives of City of Hope's clinical research enterprise. S/he works with other departments to ensure compliance with sponsor regulations, streamline workflows, and improve processes to improve efficiencies while maintaining an atmosphere that fosters the research mission of the organization.
The position works as part of a Clinical Research Billing team, currently consisting of four individuals, under the direction of the Director of Clinical Research Billing.
- Responsible for post award invoicing including patient care costs billing of industry sponsored clinical trials, reviewing trends in revenue and expenses and forecasting financial impacts pertaining to clinical research activities.
- Responsibilities include reviewing contract budgets, study calendars and posting expenses to clinical trials. Provide accurate and timely financial status reports to the study teams, PIs and business managers.
- Resolve account balance discrepancies between sponsors and COH departments.
- Designs, develops, and implements management reports that provide concise and accurate financial status assessments at various levels of detail. Responsible for identifying key performance indicators of clinical trial financial functions, performing variance analyses and generating monthly performance reports. Routinely provide monthly, quarterly and yearly summary reports to the study teams, PIs, business offices and Senior Leadership
- Interacts, establishes cooperative working relationships, and communicates effectively with co-workers and personnel in other departments, particularly Medical Center Clinical Departments, Clinical Trials Support Services, Clinical Trial Office, and Patient Financial Services.
- Actively participate in enterprise-wide system improvement initiatives and represent business area in large-scale IT implementations such as EPIC and OnCore.
- Assist with ongoing review of internal processes to streamline or create new more efficient processes; assist in executing process changes and assist with overseeing to completion.
- Analyze and document clinical research business processes in order to develop strong electronic workflow and corresponding system procedural documentation.
- Assist with interpretation of policies and procedures, both sponsor and Institutional, as they relate to compliance with laws, Medicare Coverage Analysis, National Coverage Decision, statutes and regulations dealing with clinical trial billing issues. Assist in creating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures in the various areas of post award financial administration of clinical research.
- Monitor financial activities on all clinical trials (internally funded, industry and non-industry funded trails) on an ongoing basis and reconcile balances at the end of a trial by working with departmental business managers and Post Award Office to ensure timely financial closure.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of financial management and compliance related to clinical trials
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field required.
- Master's degree and/or CPA License highly desired.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience in a Basic Research/Clinical Research environment within a healthcare or academic organization.
- Experience at a non-profit and/or higher education medical center is preferred.
- Experience with EPIC EHR system and OnCore CRMS is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Up to date on state and federal policies (current and anticipated) that would impact Research and Grant financial activities.
- Accounting skills; demonstrated analytical capability with computer skills in Excel at an advanced level and in other applications of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Visio); good communication skills, written and oral.
- Strong experience financially managing a large portfolio of industry-sponsored and non-industry sponsored clinical trials.
- Strong knowledge of clinical research, including Medicare coverage analyses and clinical trials budgeting and federal guidelines/regulations pertaining to clinical research.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Electronic Health Records System and Clinical Research Management System.
- Must have the ability to work closely and effectively with a diverse group of administrators; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
- Expresses commitment to City of Hope's mission, personally identifies with its vision and takes pride in shared success.
- Exhibits flexibility while influencing others to improve processes and implement changes.
- Anticipates needs, responds quickly, provides guidance and support, monitors and follows up as required.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite; ability to learn new software packages, both commercial and in-house. Experience with an ERP environment desirable.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top