Clinical Research Asst I
Manages an assigned set of multiple research protocols to assure efficiency and regulatory compliance of the protocol, attending clinic as needed. Responsible for compilation, registration and submission of data; monitors and ensures study compliance and maintains a system for effective data flow associated with research protocols. Schedules patients for biospecimen repository consents, screening, orientation and educational classes. Meets with and consents patients. Has proven to function independently and proficiently as defined in the position accountabilities. Has superb communication and problem-solving skills. Has demonstrable computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Access, etc. Has undertaken tasks that utilize these computing skills, as well as skills in data management and analyses.
- Conducts protocol management for an assigned set of multiple research protocols, orientation, screening and educational programs.
- Maintains current and accurate protocol documentation and is aware of the timeliness of regulatory documents
- Ensures that patients are appropriately scheduled, registered; maintains documentation of patient registration.
- Teaches scripted orientation program to the cancer center patient and their caregivers.
- Compiles and submits data on appropriate forms according to protocol requirements.
- Ensures protocol compliance with intense monitoring of specific study requirements; and schedules protocol related activities.
- Plays active role in recruitment of patients to study.
- Helps to train and mentor new clinical research staff members.
- Performs specific clinical duties as required per the research protocol.
- Performs data management and data analyses, as required by the research study.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel, while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Collects and delivers specimens for analysis, using appropriate or specified equipment for collecting and handling specimens; ensures proper labeling and obtains pertinent clinical and protocol information on request forms; develops and maintains knowledge of various aspects of processing specimens, paying particular attention to safety practices.
- Works with physician or nurse to see that protocol related tests and evaluations are ordered per protocol guidelines.
- Identifies and communicates important protocol and data management issues or problem areas to supervisor.
- Works on special data management projects as assigned.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to maintain certification/licensure, and/or keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Ensures work environment is organized and functions efficiently.
- Attends and participates in meetings as required.
- Is able to function independently with no quality control audits beside one yearly audit.
- Provides staff relief as required to meet the needs of the department.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication – Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service – Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative – Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship – Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork – Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
Minimum Education Associates Degree
Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
Requirements: Other Read, identify and extract pertinent data from medical record
Ability to read, write and comprehend medical terminology
Preferred Field of Expertise Medical Record, Health Information Systems, or related health field
Skills: Other Foster/promote a positive image and professional appearance Sensitivity to intercultural relations
Aptitude: Req./Pref. Access data in computer data bases
Use computer packages
Use word-processing software
Software A2K, preferred
Machines/Equip: Req./Pref. LCD projector
Computer peripheral equipment
Working / Environmental Conditions Atmosphere and environment associated with an office setting
Atmosphere and environment associated with patient care areas
Subject to many interruptions
Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
Requires judgment that could affect image of The City of Hope
Occasional pressure due to deadline requirements
Occasional travel required
Exposed to material of a confidential nature on a regular basis
Pressure due to deadline requirements
Frequent pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
Contact with patients/patient families under varied circumstances
Subject to regularly changing priorities and work assignments
Subject to handling multiple tasks simultaneously
Possible exposure to infectious, radioactive or biohazardous agents
Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
Contact with patients/patient families under varied circumstances
Subject to situations involving grief processes & related issues
Possibly exposed to the risk of bloodborne pathogens
Req. Protective Equipment Lab Coat or Apron
If responsible for specimen handling:
Face Protection Gown
Non-Sterile Medical Gloves
Sterile Medical Gloves
Communication Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills.
Excellent reading comprehension.
Physical Demands Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs.)
Frequent prolonged standing/walking
Manual dexterity and mobility
Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
Lifts/handles patient files
Works at PC involving focused concentration
Extensive telephone activity
Occasionally copies heavy charts/files
Works at tasks involving focused concentration
Copies material for extended periods of time
Works at computer tasks involving hand/wrist coordination
Pushes/pulls filled wheeled carts
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top