Clinical Laboratory Scientist - Transfusion Medicine Stem Cell
Requisition ID: 10428
Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) - Med Stem Cell Medical Technologist
Schedule: Full Time | Days
Location: Medical Center - Duarte, CA.
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
Performs cryopreservation procedures used to store Stem Cell products used for patient transplantation. Performs thawing procedures used for Stem Cell infusion. Performs all procedures in compliance with written SOPs and FACT, AABB and FDA regulations.
- Performs stem cell processing, cryopreservation and reinfusion procedures in compliance with written SOPs and regulatory requirements.
- Utilizes standard laboratory equipment and records and checks results for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintains the theoretical and procedural knowledge necessary to perform and interpret assigned procedures performed within the Laboratory.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service.
- Practices quality control methods common to area of expertise.
- Performs data entry of product testing information.
- Participates in quality assurance program, performs competency testing when assigned by the Supervisor.
- Develops and maintains skills in order to provide coverage as assigned by the supervisor.
- Calculates product counts and reviews for accuracy and completeness before reporting.
- Notifies supervisor of unusual results or discrepancies.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with department personnel and other City of Hope employees.
- Takes call on weekend and as needed to provide coverage for the department.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following non-essential functions may be reassigned:
- Follows preventative maintenance procedures for equipment used.
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree
- One year related experience preferred
- MT(ASCP) or California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License (CLS)
Preferred Education: Master's Degree
Pref. Certification/Licensure: MT (ASCP)
Preferred Experience:Cryopreservation or stem cell processing
Skills/Abilities: Foster/promote a positive image and professional appearance Sensitivity to intercultural relations. Answer telephones. Proofread documents. Input data into computer programs. Maintain logs. Research information. Compile data. Prepare reports. Post/transfer data. Monitor and/or document environmental parameters. Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills.
Software:Word, required. Excel, required. Windows, required. Machines/Equipment: Calculator. Personal computer. Fax. Photocopier. Computer peripheral equipment. Laboratory equipment. Centrifuge. Microscopes. Cryopreservation equipment. Eye Protection/Goggles. Lab Coat or Apron. Mask. Non-Sterile Medical Gloves. Utility Gloves. Biological Safety Cabinet
Working / Environmental Conditions: Atmosphere and environment associated with a laboratory. Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne pathogens. May be exposed to hazards from electrical/mechanical/power equip. Likely exposure to odorous chemicals and specimens. Likely exposure to toxic chemicals. May be exposed to/occasionally exposed to patient elements. Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, injuries and illness). Exposed to hot or noisy equipment. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours. Exposed to material of a confidential nature on a regular basis. Contact with patients/patient families under varied circumstances
Physical Demands:Moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 35 lbs). Mostly sedentary work. Occasional standing/walking. Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment. Manual dexterity and mobility. Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching. Works at PC involving focused concentration. Accommodation: ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. Color Vision: ability to distinguish and identify different colors. Works at tasks involving focused concentration
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top