Clinical Laboratory Scientist II - Hematology
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Functions as the first line resource for clinical test coverage in multiple sections and STAT/ emergent need situations. Assumes responsibilities that are delegated from laboratory director and supervisor under CLIA for the performance of clinical laboratory tests in base and other laboratory sections, operating and maintaining clinical laboratory instruments, troubleshooting problems and utilization of laboratory information systems for result reporting and care provider notification.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of complex laboratory tests and procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules. Utilizes standard laboratory equipment and records and checks results for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintains proficiency in multiple disciplines to meet section specific job description requirements. Disciplines to include drawing blood in accordance with physician order using appropriate techniques and equipment.
- Provides back-up service for other departmental personnel as directed by supervisor.
- Independently covers all emergent/STAT testing in the laboratory during low workload periods.
- Maintains the theoretical and procedural knowledge necessary to perform and interpret assigned procedures performed within the Laboratory.
- Uses appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage and disposal of biohazardous, infectious, radioactive and toxic substances. Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with such procedures.
- Practices quality control methods common to area of expertise.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service.
- Performs surveys and participates in other quality assessment programs. May participate in research activities, investigate new products, equipment, techniques, and methodologies. Introduces, validates, demonstrates and recommends as appropriate.
- Performs data entry of diagnostic information.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with department personnel and other City of Hope employees.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
Bachelor's Degree (BS, BA with microbiology, medical technology or biochemistry major, preferred)
One year internship through an approved school of medical technology
California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or MT License is required;
MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification, preferred
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Gerry G.Clinical Nurse Manager
Gerry supports the nurse practitioners and staff in the Hematology Department’s Blood & Marrow Transplant Division, providing them with the tools they need to help patients prepare for their transplant journey.
Back to top