Clerical Specialist II
Working under the general direction of the Department of Pathology / Laboratory Director and Phlebotomy/Processing Supervisor, this position performs duties delegated by the Director under CLIA Sect. 493.1445(a). Provides receiving, processing, routing and / or storage of specimens submitted from all areas of the hospital. Also provides support and assistance with a variety of related laboratory tasks within the specimen processing area. Works as part of the Clinical Pathology team in fulfilling department objectives.
- Process patient orders for outpatient appointments in main lab phlebotomy.
- Orients patients to procedures and exam process.
- Receives and accurately processes electronic orders into the LIS and CIS systems using standard procedures.
- Centrifuges blood specimens in test tubes and capillary tubes to separate cells and sediment from blood serum.
- Retrieves specimens from the pneumatic tube system for distribution within the laboratory.
- Ensures assigned area is adequately stocked with supplies.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Up to one year experience in a hospital laboratory setting preferred, working with clinical laboratory specimens and staff.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Back to top