Business Manager - Supportive Care
Job Title: Business Manager
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Business Manager is responsible for the research operations and financial performance of Research Division in the Department of Supportive Care. The Business Manager (BM) also reports for research operations to the Program Manager for the Department of Supportive Care. The BM is responsible for supporting the daily operations within the department ensuring that objectives/deadlines are achieved, reviewing and monitoring contract and grant proposal applications and awards, reviewing and approving extramural expenditures, delegating work flow, managing extramural proposal activity with support staff and multiple Principal Investigators (PIs), monitoring financial management of extramural funding, interacting with other centralized offices (Safety, Office of Sponsored Research (OSR), Office of Foundation Relations (OFR), Clinical Trials Support Services (CTSS), Office of Technology Licensing (OTL), Legal, Contract Management, Immigration, core facilities, and other auxiliary offices), assisting with short-term and long-term administrative decisions with the PIs and Program Manager, and meeting with PIs to resolve budgetary and/or laboratory operational issues.
- Collaborate with Program Manager andPIs to prepare annual budgets (operating and capital), monitor performance, and implement action plans if needed.
- Forecast department volumes, revenue, and expenses
- Responsible for an accurate expense ledger, payroll reconciliation, cost transfers, invoice payment
- Oversee charge capture processes and appropriate reconciliation of charge posting
- Coordinate and assist in development and submission of typical proposals and as needed, on large and complexproposals, post award setup, API/ Grant Tracking System for staff.
- Identify and acquire capital equipment and other materials necessary forsuccess
- Work with PIs in handling patents, intellectual properties and clinical trials asrequired.
- Manage contracts within the department including identification of need, negotiations, execution, and ongoing monitoring of performance.
Serve as liaison to support departments such as (Safety, Office of Sponsored Research (OSR), Office of Foundation Relations (OFR), Clinical Trials Support Services (CTSS), Office of Technology Licensing (OTL), Legal, Contract Management, Immigration, core facilities, and other auxiliary offices)
Decision Support and Analytics
- Proactively analyze metrics and data to present recommendations to improve operations.
- Data gathering, analysis, and validation
- Dashboard creation
- Business justification for new programs, positions, equipment
- Monitor labor productivity and comparison to external benchmarks
- Trends and opportunities regarding utilization and capacity
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following Pillars in Action are the behaviors that accelerate our impact as we deliver on our Vision and Strategic Priorities:
SPEED. We move with speed.
- We execute with a sense of urgency.
- We learn quickly and adjust course.
- We take ownership and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers.
FOCUS. We act with discipline and focus.
- We own City of Hopeâ€™s enterprise priorities.
- We deliver measurable results.
- We explore ideas broadly, and commit to ideas selectively.
ENTERPRISE. We behave as one enterprise.
- We work together, not in silos.
- We stand by each other and our decisions.
- We encourage innovative thinking and embrace responsible risk taking.
CONNECTEDNESS. We connect and network.
- We attract and collaborate with diverse talent.
- We connect and extend our relationships.
- We welcome and embrace external partners.
SPONSORSHIP. We trust and sponsor.
- We value and inspire each other.
- We extend trust.
- We sponsor each otherâ€™s success.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in healthcare, business or related field
- 3+ years of business/operations experience preferably in a healthcare environment
- (Completion of an Administrative fellowship may substitute for minimum experience requirements
- Masterâ€™s degree in health or business administration
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills; high level of integrity and confidentiality; efficient time management and attention to detail; strong financial analysis and project management skills
- MS office, project
- Travel across campus and locations for meetings; light physical effort
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top