The Business Manager for Operations for Clinical Cancer Genetics within Population Sciences Department provides administrative support management by independently managing and implementing operational activities for the department. Manages and implements operational and human resource activities of the department. Oversees facilities operations and space planning. Responsible for day-to-day activities of the department.
Under direction of the Director, manages operations activities of the Department. Additionally, the Business Manager interacts and coordinates with Directors and managers across the institution.
- Develop and administer budgets and reconcile expenses. Authorize expenditures within established limits. Track and monitor budget activities and analyze variances.
- Monitor and create roll up reports across multiple departments within Division.
- Develop and manage contract tracking system for professional agreements, including but not limited to appointment letters, TAR services agreements, call agreements.
- Manages ongoing faculty appointment process for Medical Center faculty in collaboration with AAP office.
- Develop and manage system for tracking professional time sheets.
- Manages spending on grants so that all expenditures are appropriate and allowable within the grant budget and year end.
Supervise staff and administer performance evaluations. Develop performance improvement strategies and refer to HR as appropriate. Create and monitor process improvement policies for the department. Coordinate required components of employee recruitment. Supervise Department Fellowship Program Coordinator and interact with the Department of Graduate Medical Education and Clinical Training. Manage job and status changes within organizational guidelines. Assists with visa applications. Serves as liaison with area supervisors. Complex issues may have decisions referred to Director.
Facilities Operation and Space Management
- Manage facilities, space utilization, building and equipment safety and maintenance.
Department specific job duties may include, but are not limited to, event coordination, providing specialized support to PIs and project work. Manage ancillary provider coverage and related services for Department (NP, PA, Clinic Templates). Maintain monthly Patient Activity and RVU reports and present to the Department Chair. Meet regularly with the Department Chair regarding Operational issues.
- Collaborates with Chair of the Dept., VP and CMO to participate in short and long-tem planning.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field required. Master’s degree in Health Administration is preferred.
- 3-5 years of business management experience in an academic research or healthcare environment. Demonstrated experience in strong background in Operations and Supervision of a large Clinical Department.
- Personnel management experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- High level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Highly proficient in MS Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top