Bioinformatics Specialist - Morris Lab
Requisition ID: 10423
Job Title: Bioinformatics Specialist
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
Applies computer and information science and technology to the organization, storage, analysis, modeling and visualization of complex biological data. Develops custom software and databases as needed. Carries out high throughput sequencing analysis from CHIP, RIP, and whole-genome sequencing.
- Consults on various research projects as assigned under supervision of the department director.
- Collaborates with department personnel on research projects; performs statistical and other mathematical analyses and simulations of complex data using available software packages and by developing new custom software.
- Prepares summaries, presentations, manuscript sections and figures for the visualization and publication of complex data and results.
- Develops databases for the organized entry, reliable storage and efficient retrieval of complex data.
- Establishes schedules and monitors status of projects on an ongoing basis.
- Trains department personnel in the use of specialized and custom software packages and databases.
- Provides recommendations for the growth and improvement of the computer hardware and software infrastructure of the department.
- Enhances professional growth and development by reviewing current literature and by participation in educational programs, workshops, conferences, and inservice meetings.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs special projects as assigned by management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master's degree. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Minimum one year experience applying computer and information science and technology to the organization, storage, analysis, modeling and visualization of complex data.
- Requirements: Other Broad knowledge of statistical, mathematical analysis, computer algorithm, programming, and database theory and methods. Knowledge of molecular biology preferred.
- Experience using standard statistical and other mathematical analysis methods on complex data.
- Experience designing databases using available software packages such as Microsoft Access. Experience using advanced database management system software, such as Microsoft SQL Server, desirable.
- Experience using at least one high level programming language. Experience with object-oriented computer languages C++ and JAVA preferred.
- Experience with statistical, spreadsheet, graphics and word-processing software packages. Experience using and programming advanced statistical software packages such as SAS, BMDP and StatXact is desirable.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top