Associate Vice President, Major Gifts
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Associate Vice President is responsible for leading by example and managing the City of Hope's major gifts function and its staff to increase the level of individual involvement and financial commitment of donors. The AVP-MG provides leadership and mentoring to City of Hope Major Gift staff and faculty in the identification, qualification, fine-tuned strategic engagement, solicitation and highly personalized stewardship of prospects and donors with a capacity rating of $100,000, with an emphasis on $500,000+ donors/prospects. Establish and refine standards for management and development best practices that encourage the highest levels of quality in all interactions with current and prospective donors.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Portfolio management and execution of strategies related to Individual prospects and donors at the $100,000. and up gift capacity. Identify, cultivate and solicit prospects capable of making major gifts to City of Hope, and build and manage an active portfolio of prospect donor relationships. Maintain high-quality, long-term relationships with past and potential donors that maximize their capacity to provide financial support to the City of Hope. Achieve annual productivity goals, including meaningful moves/substantive contacts, major gift proposals, gifts and new pledges.
- Manages/supervises and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership by example, guidance and resources. Evaluates staff performance regularly and in concert with the VP for Major/Special Gifts, determines merit increases, promotions and disciplinary actions. Determines staff qualifications and competency: assists with recruitment, and selection of new staff hires. Is responsible for training, orienting and mentoring new and existing staff.
- Demonstrated ability to manage in a complex, multi-tasked organizations; plan strategically; and interact effectively with high-level administrators and volunteers. Work collaboratively and efficiently with all members of the Philanthropy staff. Serves as point person for the VP for Philanthropy Major/Special Gifts for major gift projects and staff initiatives.
- Help train and educate doctors, clinical and research leaders on fundraising policies and practices. Strengthen the overall development engagement with leadership, faculty, department heads, and members of the staff, strengthening a culture of philanthropy and building natural partners.
- Leadership responsibilities and representation throughout the Office of Philanthropy and City of Hope.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- Significant experience (8+ years) in the management of development functions with emphasis on major gifts.
- Experience in managing effective teams, engaging constituencies, and working with volunteers
- Advanced Degree
- Experience in Healthcare
- Experience closing large gifts
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top