Accountant - Post Award
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Under the direction of the Manager, Post Award Accounting, this position is responsible, but not limited to post award administration, including award set-up, budget updates, set up issue resolution and error resolution and other related duties. The Accountant will manage the Post Award shared email box to ensure requests are assigned to the proper individuals for timely handling. The Accountant will provide expert support to PIs, faculty, department/divisions to establish new awards, monitor expenditure activity and reconcile, analyze and report in accordance with institutional and sponsor regulations as assigned, keeping activities within our department established service level agreements to complete award set up requests.
A successful candidate will have the ability to understand and interpret research contract language to assure that awards are appropriately set up to facilitate the proper recognition of revenue and expense and financial reporting for extramural awards. The candidate will have the ability to perform effectively in a deadline driven environment; with strong interpersonal skills and a strong service orientation sense.
Post Award Administration
- Interpret City of Hope and sponsor regulations and guidelines for award management and partner with divisional/departmental administrators in managing their intramural and extramural funding
- Maintain current working knowledge of federal regulations, sponsor policies, and City of Hope policies
- Maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs as requested
- Create new projects in PeopleSoft for intramural and extramural funds and maintains official award documentation for all awards. In conjunction with the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR), reviews and processes approved Requests for Advanced Spending (RAS) as requested
- Oversee changes to award budgets and the record keeping of relevant documentation
- Review and process expenses transfers, including interdepartmental expense transfers and verification of validity of accounting string
- Responsible for timely invoicing and financial reporting for assigned portfolio
- Reconcile unbilled accounts receivable and coordinate with the Departments/Divisions, Office of Sponsored Research (OSR), Research Finance, Clinical Research, and/or the sponsor to determine necessary steps to resolve
- Reconcile deferred revenue liability and determine that balances for projects is appropriate using established reconciling processes
- Assists in the month-end close and year-end financial audits for the Beckman Research Institute and Medical Center contract and grant activity, including the annual UG audit, conducted by internal and external auditors
- Maintain financial integrity of assigned portfolio by monitoring and generating regular reconciliations
- Provide excellent customer service by responding to inquiries and addressing concerns in a timely manner
- Work collaboratively with Principal Investigators and/or Administrators as needed for award and expenditure monitoring and reporting
- Advise management about issues such as resource utilization, compliance, and the assumptions underlying budget forecasts
- Answer all inquiries for the areas served
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree. Experience may substitute for minimum education.
- Must have at least 2 years of research administration, post award, research finance and/or other accounting and ledger related experience.
- This position requires the application of a knowledge of principals, concepts and theories of accounting and demonstrates ability to apply accounting practices.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail as demonstrated by application materials .
- Must have working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and other sponsor regulations related to sponsored projects, including Uniform Guidance.
- Must have detailed knowledge and ability to interpret sponsor guidelines and regulations or demonstrated ability from prior experience to interpret contracts and guidelines.
- Must be sufficiently skilled to independently analyze accounting transactions and reconcile financial information.
- Must have the strong ability to diagnose and solve problems using sound judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Strong focus on providing excellent customer service.
- Professionalism in all communication, as expected in interaction with customers.
- Must have strong project management skills to set priorities and adhere to deadlines.
- Experience working in both grants and contracts in a hospital or university setting is a plus. This position requires the application of a knowledge of principals, concepts and e Suite.
- Peoplesoft proficiency preferred.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top