Sr Engineering Technician-Flood Warning Analyst
The Transportation/Public Works Department - Stormwater Management Division is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Senior Engineering Technician. The City of Fort Worth currently maintains a High Water Warning System (HWWS) at low-water road crossings consisting of water and rain gages, and road side flashers to alert drivers of severe flooding in the area. Text and email alarms are issued from specialized data acquisition and flood warning software to emergency response personnel. System upgrades and expansion are planned to make the current and future system more reliable and relevant.
We are looking for a person that has basic Engineering or scientific knowledge and skills, but also has strong computer and analytical skills. Applicants who have good organizational skills with an interest in learning flood warning technology are encouraged to apply.
Job duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Basic Drainage Concepts
- Basic interpretation of engineering drawings
- Simple scientific and/or engineering calculations
- Being responsible for the operation and maintenance of flood warning software
- Preparing and issuing flood alarms to emergency responders
- Querying and providing reports from the flood warning sensor network
- Assisting in the development of flood response planning
- Coordinating activities with relevant City staff, and external partner agencies
- Inspecting flood warning sensors and related equipment
- Data entry
- Occasionally working outside normal business hours during weather events/special situations
An Associate's Degree in an Engineering or Information Technology related field plus five (5) years of increasingly responsible technical experience in these fields
A High School Diploma/GED plus seven (7) years of increasingly responsible technical experience related field may be substituted for the education requirements.
Candidates must have an acceptable driving record and possess a valid Texas Class "C" driver's license.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following capabilities:
- Proven skills analyzing scientific data
- Responsible experience working with specialized computer software
- Proficiency working in the Windows operating system
- Basic knowledge of Geographic Information Systems
- Experience working in a municipal entity
- Field experience inspecting sensors and related equipment
- Easily adapt to learning new software applications
Meet Some of City of Fort Worth's Employees
Aaron oversees one of the City of Fort Worth’s many community centers, organizing after-school activities, athletics, and summer camp programs for the area’s youth.
Back to top