Sr Credit Officer - Commercial Banking
The Sr. Credit Officer participates in the loan management process by providing credit and loan underwriting expertise to a Commercial Banking team. Analyzes prospective loan transactions and credit worthiness of borrowers. Validates the credit analysis prepared by the Credit Analysts and provides opinions and recommendations regarding proposed credit and potential risks. Ensures all due diligence and background evaluation is complete and thorough before Credit Risk Recommendation ("CRR") is submitted.
Solutions are thorough, and require analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of financial statements, cash flow analysis, third party reporting, familiarity with various industries, collateral issues and values, loan structuring and guarantor personal financial statements and tax returns. Prepares recommendations regarding approval or denial of applications exceeding posted standards. Loan size is typically over $10 million. Actively mentors lower level credit team colleagues. May function as the primary credit contact for clients and interact effectively with all levels of Bank personnel and outside contacts.
- Minimum 7 years' experience in underwriting medium to large sized and moderately-complex commercial credit required.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a banking or financial services environment required.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Credit training is required.
- Requires extensive technical expertise and full knowledge of commercial credit principles, financial concepts and regular use of ingenuity and creativity in solving complex credit problems.
- Communicates skillfully and effectively in both verbal/written forms.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to assume responsibility and accountability for decision making.
- Ability to work well independently to restructure loans and/or lines of credit as required.
- Reviews loan request application and financial information and third party reporting (e.g., RE appraisal, Environmental reports, ABL Examinations, Inventory Appraisal, etc); evaluates and determines credit structure and terms; fully underwrites CRR consistent with Bank format, policies and procedures; determines sources and uses of funds; analyzes industry data, competitive factors, historical performance, projected results, risks, and mitigating factors. Ensures CRR contains a well supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; and the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly.
- Attends client meetings at Relationship Manager, CBS Manager, or Credit Manager's request to facilitate delivery of credit product and/or assist in problem resolution. Contacts borrowers directly, for additional information and details related to loan request or clarification of financial materials and resources.
- Provides balanced and appropriate credit guidance to Relationship Manager and Manager and collaborates in determining appropriate credit strategy.
- Provides credit alternatives and creative ways to structure credits ensuring that transactions are within profitability and portfolio risk standards. Authors credit approval memorandum.
- Provides input to the Relationship Manager and Manager when loan pricing does not appear to reflect inherent risk in subject transaction. Pricing may be either too high or to low. Restructures loans and/or lines of credit as required. Assumes accountability for minimizing Bank losses.
- Performs quarterly Problem Loan reporting for Criticized / Classified credits including: financial reviews of client's financial condition including monitoring covenants and conditions. Takes a proactive approach toward development and implementation of Action Plans. Escalates potential credit issues to Relationship Manager, CBS Manager and/or Credit Manager.
- Has primary role in early problem loan identification and the timely and accurate changes in loan grades. Monitors and takes initiative to respond to past dues based in partnership with Relationship Manager.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Credit Manager and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new/existing lending requirements and regulations.
- May coordinate loan documentation including work with legal, CLC, or other outside counsel to obtain the correct, accurate documents to ensure all loan are documented to fully protect the Bank's interests in the credit relationship. Reviews collateral periodically to minimize credit exposure.
Represents the basic qualifications for the position. To be considered for this position you must at least meet the basic qualifications.
City National Bank is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer -- Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.
Note: The Preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Note: Candidates should be advised that City National Bank does not pay interviewee travel expenses or relocation expenses for candidates who are hired unless previously agreed.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Back to top