Credit Manager - Specialty Banking/Intl Trade
The Specialty Banking - Credit Manager of International Trade is a key contributor in the loan management process by providing credit and country risk expertise to a team of Specialty Banking Relationship Managers and Credit Officers in the International Banking and Trade Finance group, Foreign Exchange, and Treasury units. For new business development and the management of the existing client portfolios, the Credit Manager will analyze prospective and existing loan transactions and the credit worthiness of new and existing clients and will evaluate and monitor the risk characteristics of foreign countries where City National Bank ("CNB") has exposure. Will provide recommendations and guidance regarding proposed credits and potential risks. Ensures all due diligence and background evaluation is complete and thorough before credit approval is granted.
- Manages workflow and priorities of Credit team. Determines and assigns work assignments to Credit Officers and Credit Analysts based on experience, availability, and portfolio complexity and size.
- Provides technical guidance to and reviews the work of less experienced Credit Officers and Credit Analysts. Guides and assists the Credit Officers and Credit Analysts in research, credit structuring, financial analysis, etc. for complex accounts.
- Responds to questions or inquiries from internal and external clients concerning international banking credit policies and procedures as well as ratings of foreign banks and countries.
- Manages and monitors performance, gives on-going performance feedback and participates in conducting effective performance appraisals. Trains, coaches, counsels and provides direction and guidance to staff.
- Develops and motivates team members; identifies staff development needs and provides educational/training opportunities.
- Assists the Division Credit Manager in departmental reporting of past dues, portfolio reviews, etc.
- Provides balanced and appropriate credit guidance to Relationship Managers and Credit Officers/Analysts and collaborates in determining appropriate credit strategy.
- In coordination with the unit Manager, manages credit pipeline for all new and increased loan requests.
- Manages the financial analysis and preparation of the CRR. This includes ensuring that the CRR contains a well-supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; and the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly.
- Manages the analysis of macroeconomic and political risk associated with foreign countries and the preparation of periodic country studies including recommendations for country ratings.
- Collaborates with team members by providing credit alternatives and creative ways to structure credits ensuring that transactions are within profitability and portfolio risk standards. Reviews and approves credit approval memorandum.
- Reviews quarterly financial updates of client's financial condition including monitoring covenants and conditions. Communicates and discusses findings with the Relationship Managers, Credit Officers/Analysts and team Manager, where necessary.
- Works with Credit Administration and Credit Portfolio Risk to facilitate accurate and timely credit decisions and optimal credit strategy.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Manager and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new/existing lending requirements and regulations.
- Acts in accordance with Bank' credit culture and strategies.
- Works on portfolio related special projects and reporting including amendments and/or changes to Credit Policy.
Responsibilities (Specific to International Banking & Trade Finance)
- Write bank's Client Risk Recommendation ("CRR'") and country studies to assign risk ratings.
- Respond to inquiries from International Banking and Trade Finance ("IBTF") Relationship Manager's ("RM's") and managers from other bank units about the creditworthiness of specific foreign banks.
- Coordinate credit approvals with Credit Administration and Royal Bank of Canada ("RBC"). Maintain active communication with RBC regarding specific transactions and setting up new allocated limits.
- Review and edit Corporate and Bank CRR's prepared by the credit staff.
- Take a lead role in portfolio reviews, internal audit responses, credit policy issues, and responses to RBC and regulators on various issues such as the recent SR 10-10 reports.
- Present credits at PARC meetings.
- Manage credit reporting to RBC including Reg F reports and turnkey exposure reports.
- Handle manager's various analysis/reporting requests.
- Supervise and train credit officers.
- Attend credit manager meetings within Specialty Banking and report on IBTF developments.
- Maintain various reporting functions such as updating country ratings on InfoLink and Significant Country Risk reports.
- Manage rating agency subscriptions.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, or Business Administration.
- Combined 10 years of Corporate and/or Commercial Credit Management / underwriting experience.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles and financial statements.
- Previous experience with credit assessment of financial institutions.
- Credit management experience preferred.
- Experience analyzing and underwriting emerging market banks.
- Knowledge of macroeconomics, experience evaluating other countries.
Skills and Knowledge
- Highly knowledgeable in corporate credit policies and procedures.
- Strong credit analysis and accounting skills with the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively in both verbal/written forms.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to assume responsibility and accountability for decision-making.
- Ability to work well independently and in teams and interact effectively with all levels of Bank personnel and outside contacts.
*Represents the basic qualifications for the position. To be considered for this position you must at least meet the basic qualifications.
City National Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans
Note: The Preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Note: Candidates should be advised that City National Bank does not pay interviewee travel expenses or relocation expenses for candidates who are hired unless previously agreed.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Back to top