Audit Project Manager - Credit
The Audit Project Manager (APM)-Credit position is mainly responsible for 1) leading a team of internal audit professionals on audit projects, 2) partnering with Credit Risk Review examiners to provide comprehensive and holistic assurance over the adequacy of credit risk management of the Bank, and 3) working with Credit Risk Review to develop and execute Internal Audit's continuous monitoring program over the bank's credit risk activities and report results quarterly to stakeholders. The APM-Credit is responsible to communicate the current state of credit risk environment and exposure of the Bank to appropriate stakeholders including the business lines, audit committee directors, risk management, chief auditor, and regulators.
In addition, the APM-Credit will lead or work with the Finance Audit team to conduct various audits and continuous monitoring related to wholesale and retail credits such as Current Expected Credit Losses, Credit Administration, and CCAR/DFAST. The APM-Credit will be responsible to stay abreast of the market/industry trends and comply with all regulatory requirements and expectations relating to credit risk as a third-line of defense.
The APM-Credit assesses risks, develops audit programs, supervises audit program steps, analyzes results of testing performed and effectively communicates results to appropriate stakeholders including business management and external auditors. The APM-Credit will plan and coordinate the assignments of the audit staff by scheduling projects, monitoring progress, and ensuring their timely completion. He/She will also ensure timely follow-up of audit issues and the satisfactory implementation of corrective actions by management.
- Assists Audit Manager with a development of budget estimates for the audits
- Maintains ongoing communication and relationship with management of auditable units relating to credit/loans throughout the year
- Tracks and manages audit resources to meet the audit plan and budget
- Complies fully with all bank operational and credit policies and procedures as well as all regulatory requirements (e.g. Code of Conduct, Privacy, etc.)
- Completes all required training and continuing education on a timely basis
- Works closely with Credit Risk Review and the RBC Credit Audit team to develop and execute a comprehensive credit risk audit plan and oversight approach to ensure credit risk management and governance at the Bank are adequately established and maintained
- Develops data analytic methods and continuous monitoring strategy to identify and escalate control deficiencies with regards to current and emerging credit risk exposures of the Bank
- Keeps abreast of the current regulatory/industry trends impacting credit area to ensure the Bank is well positioned to manage current and emerging future risks
- Performs and manages planned audits to assess the overall credit risk governance, control environment, monitoring, and reporting
- Ensures timely follow up of all audit issues for adequate closure and remediation according to management's action plan
- Maintains a good working relationship with the business stakeholders as a trusted advisors
- Provides guidance to Audit Management to ensure that there are sufficient engagement resources to meet the annual audit plan
- Works collaboratively with, and assesses the effectiveness of key risk management strategies with 1 st and 2 nd line of defense
- Incorporates the IT risks of the proprietary technology in the supported platform to effectively plan and manage integrated audits
- Demonstrates ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on audit evidence that may involve significant risk or ambiguity
- Skillfully negotiates workable solutions to conflict situations with both external and internal groups
- Manages complex, multifaceted/interrelated projects (thematic audits) that span own area of department boundaries
Staff Performance and Mentoring
- Serves as a role model/mentor
- Enhances and maintains morale of the audit staff
- Performs on-the-job training of staff auditors and prepares and conducts formal/informal training for less experienced staff members
- Promotes teamwork within the department to ensure that knowledge and experience is shared among team members
- Works in a dynamically changing environment and lead people through modernization from traditional auditing to focus on data analytics.
Bachelor's degree in accounting, business/economics, finance, or equivalent is required
- Require certification in one of the following: Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Masters of Business Administration (MBA), Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) or RMA Credit Risk Certification (CRC)
- Minimum five years of credit examination, bank examiner or manager in credit (loan) risk review, credit administration, loan underwriting, or credit risk management in financial institution, regulatory agency or public accounting firm
- Minimum five years of audit experience including a working knowledge of appropriate risk management techniques as well as a strong understanding of audit processes and internal controls
- Minimum five years of management experience is required
- Completion of a formal credit training program at a commercial bank a plus
- A thorough understanding of analyzing various types of credits required
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills, to effectively present to peers and management at all levels
- Excellent analytical and project management skills
- Ability to exhibit the leadership skills needed to convey ideas and obtain management buy- in for constructive change
- Strong understanding of internal auditing standards, COSO and risk assessment practices
- Passion for client service, strong work ethic, highest integrity and a can-do positive attitude
- Ability to initiate and implement continuous improvement of the risk evaluation and monitoring process
This preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of City National Bank's Employees
Stephanie D.SVP, Team Leader, Entertainment Division
Stephanie set the standard for providing outstanding financial service to nearly 50% of Broadway productions, as she and her team work behind the scenes to allow clients to focus on what they do best—creating spectacular productions.
Back to top