Teaching Associate, San Jose
Teaching Associate - San Jose, CA
Citizen Schools seeks talented, enthusiastic, and diverse educators to serve as a part-time Teaching Associates (TA) in San Jose for the 2017-2018 academic year. Lead or support a classroom of 15-20 students hands-on throughout the extended day program; running structured homework sessions and facilitating apprenticeships. Provide operational support and one on one behavior management. TAs work approximately 15-25 hours per week. Schedules vary by campus, but all TAs will work Monday through Friday for several hours in the afternoon. TAs need to be available between 12:00pm -- 6:00 pm. In addition to serving on campus, TAs also have self-managed hours each week for preparation and communication. Positions are available for immediate start.
- Customize and deliver hands-on, engaging curriculum in Math and/or English Language Arts
- Inspire students to set and achieve ambitious academic and personal goals
- Partner with families, colleagues, and school staff to support student growth and hold students to consistently high expectations
- Participate in Citizen Schools' system of student incentives, recognition, and consequences
- Create opportunities for students that strengthen the connection between academic success, college, and career.
- Create and reinforce a culture of achievement and the idea that hard work + opportunity = success
- Build and leverage relationships with students, families, volunteers, peers, and the school community
- Plan and manage logistics for events both on- and off-campus
- Support day to day campus operations
- Provide one on one behavior intervention and support
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Citizen Schools' mission
- Academic skills – proficiency in middle school math and English
- Coaching skills and ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Experience working with youth, middle school youth ideal
- Ability to build relationships and influence students, colleagues, and community members
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong detail orientation, time management, and organization skills
- Spanish skills a plus
Qualifications we are seeking:
- Organization: Uses a consistent practice to manage materials, information, and commitments in order to successfully meet expectations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent Communicator: Demonstrates active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with a diverse range of individuals and groups. Routinely makes room for multiple perspectives.
- Achievement: Goal-oriented mindset takes personal ownership for results and has a track record of overcoming barriers to achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Commitment to Service: Mobilizer who believes education is a vital project that requires community-wide support.
Benefits and Compensation:
The hourly rate starts at $15.00, and typically increases for TAs who work with Citizen Schools for multiple semesters. TAs receive training and will have opportunities for professional development and growth.
To Apply: Please submit your resume through the link below.
About Citizen Schools
Citizen Schools works collaboratively with schools by connecting them with a second shift of educators: AmeriCorps service members and over 5,000 volunteer Citizen Teachers from community organizations, local businesses as well as major corporations like Google and Cognizant. Students benefit from mentorship and hands-on learning experiences that spark curiosity and illuminate the world of opportunity available through education. You can learn more about our results by clicking here .
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team.
See Inside the Office of Citizen Schools
Citizen Schools is dedicated to helping all children discover and achieve their dreams. By partnering with Citizen Schools, public middle schools across the nation add about 400 hours of instructional time to the school day—creating extraordinary enrichment and academic opportunities that build the skills, access, and beliefs children need to thrive as students and succeed as adults. Citizen Schools positions young adults for success by connecting the resources of local communities, companies, governments, and philanthropies.
Back to top