Teaching Associate, Durham
Teaching Associate - Durham
Citizen Schools seeks a talented, enthusiastic, and diverse cohort of educators to serve as part-time Teaching Associates (TAs) in Durham for the 2017-2018 academic year. Coordinate extended day Apprenticeship Exclusive (AppEx) program at campus serving approx. 80 students by facilitating volunteer-led apprenticeships and liaising with school faculty and staff. TAs work approximately 15-20 hours per week. Schedules vary by campus, but all TAs will be on campus two days per week, Monday through Thursday, for five to seven hours in the afternoon. TAs need to be available between 11:00am -- 6:00 pm, with additional hours on Fridays for meetings and professional development. In addition to serving on campus, TAs also have self-managed hours each week for preparation and communication.
- Partner with volunteers to facilitate and assist with eight high quality apprenticeships per semester
- Inspire students to set and achieve ambitious academic and personal goals
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with families, colleagues, partner organizations, and school staff and administration to support student growth and hold students to consistently high expectations
- Participate in after school systems of student incentives, recognition, and consequences where appropriate
- Create opportunities for students that strengthen the connection between academic success, college, and career.
- Maintain accurate class records and support student placement process
- Maintain accurate campus information including contact information, campus calendars, campus schedules
- Collect and track student data in order to make decisions for individual students and the program
- Create and reinforce a culture of achievement and the idea that hard work + opportunity = success
- Plan and manage logistics for events both on- and off-campus
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Citizen Schools mission
- Coaching skills and ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Experience working with youth, middle school youth ideal
- Ability to build relationships and influence students, colleagues, and community members
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong detail orientation, time management, and organization skills
- Experience with data collection and analysis skills
- Bachelor's Degree strongly preferred, or be in pursuit of one (dependent on region)
- Spanish skills a plus
Qualifications we are seeking:
- Organization: Uses a consistent practice to manage materials, information, and commitments in order to successfully meet expectations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent Communicator: Demonstrates active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with a diverse range of individuals and groups. Routinely makes room for multiple perspectives.
- Achievement: Goal-oriented mindset takes personal ownership for results and has a track record of overcoming barriers to achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Commitment to Service: Mobilizer who believes education is a vital project that requires community-wide support.
Please use the application button on this page to submit your resume.
ABOUT CITIZEN SCHOOLS:
All children deserve the opportunity to discover and achieve their dreams. Citizen Schools makes this po ssible for thousands of high-need middle school students nationwide through partnerships with public districts in 30 schools in six states that extend the school day and introduce volunteer and paid adults to increase hands-on learning opportunities. Extended Learning Time or ELT is an evidence-based model, that consistently accelerates the rate of student learning, reduces absenteeism, leads to more students reaching grade-level proficiency, and prepares students for college and beyond. You can review our results at http://bit.ly/CSresults13 or see the our impact first hand through the story of one of our students .
We are on a mission to reimagine the learning day, and with partners like Cisco, Fidelity, Biogen and AmeriCorps, we are getting closer to closing the opportunity and achievement gaps every day.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT : Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please notify [email protected] and we will work to accommodate your needs.
See Inside the Office of Citizen Schools
Citizen Schools is dedicated to helping all children discover and achieve their dreams. By partnering with Citizen Schools, public middle schools across the nation add about 400 hours of instructional time to the school day—creating extraordinary enrichment and academic opportunities that build the skills, access, and beliefs children need to thrive as students and succeed as adults. Citizen Schools positions young adults for success by connecting the resources of local communities, companies, governments, and philanthropies.
Back to top