Managing Director of Grant Writing & Foundation Relations
Managing Director of Grant Writing and Foundation Relations
The Managing Director of Grant Writing and Foundation Relations w ill play a critical role in Citizen Schools’ effort to close the opportunity gap by identifying, developing ,and growing sustainable relationships with foundations who can provide us with necessary financial resources for years to come. We seek a stellar relationship builder who is committed to creating strong foundation partnerships and a leader ready to support a committed and talented grant writing team. We are seeking a self-directed individual who has a proven track record of stewarding long-term relationships and securing financial resources for the organization. The Managing Director of Grant Writing and Foundation Relations is based at our headquarters in Boston, MA and reports to our VP of External Engagement.
Foundation Engagement Strategy :
- Lead the development and implementation of Citizen Schools’ national foundation engagement strategy and ensure that the foundation revenue target is met or surpassed
- Develop a national foundation engagement strategy aligned with organizational priorities, including priority prospects, priority funding areas, and key sector touch points
- Own a portfolio of foundation relationships, including new prospects and current funders
- Partner with Deputy Director, Grant Writing and Foundation Relations on development of Massachusetts foundation engagement strategy
- Manage a Grant Writing and Foundations Relations Associate who efficiently and thoughtfully manages foundation pipeline through the cultivation cycle.
- Lead Grant Writing and Foundation Relations team; Define, communicate, and deliver on team services
- Provide excellent management to direct reports, helping them to set and meet appropriate goals and to grow as professionals
- Create a positive team culture; ensure that the team is building grant writing capacity across the network through training, coaching, systems, and resources (e.g., Resource Library, Grant Directory)
Grant Writing :
- Write high-priority national grant proposals and reports
- Serve as Writing Team point person for national foundation and federal grants; write or contribute to other high-priority proposals or reports as needed
- Project manage assigned grants, including developing work plans, writing narratives, assembling appropriate attachments, and working with Finance to prepare grant budgets and financial reports
Federal Grants :
- Oversee process for federal grant opportunities, assessing opportunities based on strategic fit, potential value, and programmatic/administrative requirements and engaging relevant colleagues as needed
- Fundamental belief in the ability of all children to achieve excellence in school and in life on an absolute scale, and in the Citizen Schools model as a catalyst for transforming schools and communities.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in sales, fundraising, relationship management, or business development. Private, public, and nonprofit backgrounds are all valued. The ideal candidate will have succeeded in a high-performing organization and be eager to apply best practices.
- Achievement and deadline-oriented, comfort operating in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with accountability to results.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a vision of excellence, while modeling best practices in fundraising and volunteer engagement.
- Ability to effectively lead a team directly, as well as earn trust and accountability from colleagues on other teams; collaborative approach to decision-making.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent oral presentation, and written skills.
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to model Citizen Schools’ core values : Pride, Joy, Respect, Courage, Teamwork, Perseverance, and Vision.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
What we offer:
- Full benefits package, including competitive salary, 403(b), generous paid time off, and professional development funds.
- Access to an existing successful network of education and development professionals in Boston and throughout the Citizen Schools community.
- Ongoing support and professional development with a strengths-based, goal-oriented approach.
- A month-long paid sabbatical awarded after 5 years, professional development funds, company retreats, and a flexible work environment.
- Inspiring teammates who are striving for success and working tirelessly to ensure that all children have the opportunity to discover and achieve their dreams.
To learn more and apply:
If you are ready to apply, please submit your resume and cover letter using the link below. If you would like to learn more about either this opportunity or Citizen Schools before applying, please contact Jessica Palmer, Director of Talent Acquisition at [email protected]
About Citizen Schools:
All children deserve the opportunity to discover and achieve their dreams. Citizen Schools makes this possible for thousands of high-need middle school students nationwide through partnerships with public districts in 30 schools in 6 states that extend the school day and introduce volunteer and paid adults to increase hands-on learning opportunities. Extended Learning Time or ELT is an evidence-based model, that consistently accelerates the rate of student learning, reduces absenteeism, leads to more students reaching grade-level proficiency, and prepares students for college and beyond. You can review our results at http://bit.ly/CSresults13 or see the our impact first hand through the story of one of our students .
We are on a mission to reimagine the learning day, and with partners like Cisco, Fidelity, Biogen and AmeriCorps, we are getting closer to closing the opportunity and achievement gaps every day.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT : Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please notify [email protected] and we will work to accommodate your needs.
Back to top