Civic Engagement Coordinator
Civic Engagement Coordinator
The Civic Engagement Coordinator will support the initiation and cultivation of key individual, community, and corporate partner relationships — including implementing engagement strategies, planning and executing outreach events, ensuring the integrity of marketing materials and the Citizen Schools California (CSC) website, and managing CSC’s database and communication processes. The role is an opportunity for a detail-oriented and highly organized individual to learn the full breadth of volunteer and partnership management operations at a national, education-focused nonprofit. The Civic Engagement Coordinator will be based at our Redwood City Regional Office in California and will report directly to the Executive Director.
As the Civic Engagement Coordinator you will:
Systems Creation & Data Management
- Oversee the use of Salesforce to drive efficient and effective cultivation of Citizen Schools volunteers and advocates, i.e. manage recruitment campaigns, capture partner narratives, track touchpoints and communication, etc.
- Implement and streamline volunteer recruitment processes, from initial introduction to campus assignment and onboarding
- Manage Civic Engagement calendar in close partnership with Program department
- Compile and analyze volunteer and partner data to guide Civic Engagement strategy
- Maintain database integrity through comprehensive clean-up and norming of volunteer records, contact lists, and apprenticeship data in Salesforce
- Collaborate with national Civic Engagement cohort to create and implement sustainable systems across the greater Citizen Schools network
- Manage cohort of on-campus volunteer coordinators to ensure apprenticeship program quality and partnership health
Cultivation Strategy & Relationship Management
- Directly manage a portfolio of external relationships (civic organizations, academic institutions, individual volunteers) to strengthen Citizen Teacher pipelines and cultivate local champions
- Track and ensure timely, tailored follow-up at each stage of partner and volunteer cultivation cycle
- Attend external events and serve as front-line representative to build awareness of Citizen Schools
- Lead intake phone calls to inform expectations, inspire engagement, and assess fit for prospective Citizen Teacher volunteers
- Create and distribute communications and marketing materials as partner cultivation touchpoints that highlight student impact and apprenticeship successes, using both collateral and web based platforms
- Facilitate regular communication with Program and campus teams to achieve joint department goals
- Organize statistical and anecdotal data to share with national, regional, and campus colleagues in an action-oriented and compelling manner
Event & Apprenticeship Operations
- Provide both leadership and logistical support in order to execute the vision for all Civic Engagement events including WOW!s, lunch & learns, Citizen Teacher trainings, field trips, volunteer socials, and other special events
- Own all bulk communications before, during, and after events to maximize attendance and CT recruitment/engagement
- Work with the Operations Associate to develop and maintain operational systems for high-quality apprenticeships and Citizen Teacher experiences, e.g.:
- Manage inventory of material used for Citizen Teacher recruitment and appreciation
- Oversee apprenticeship resources, including systems for distribution and maintenance
- Coordinate student transportation to/from partner sites and supervise billing, in close collaboration with the campus teams
- Ensure full volunteer compliance with state and district requirements, including required TB testing
- Organization and Prioritization: Uses a consistent practice to manage priorities and commitments in order to successfully meet expectations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent Communication: Expresses thoughts clearly and demonstrates active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with a diverse range of individuals and groups. Routinely makes room for multiple perspectives.
- Achievement: Goal-oriented mindset, takes personal ownership for results and has a track record of overcoming barriers to achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent experience
- Exceptionally strong project management skills; proven ability to develop and execute complex action plans and fierce detail-orientation
- High emotional intelligence, with a demonstrated ability to ensure customer satisfaction while navigating competing demands
- 3+ years of relevant experience preferred; exceptionally well-qualified 2014 college graduates with relevant experience are welcome to apply
- Command of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; database skills preferred; experience with Publisher and Salesforce a plus
- Experience with web based marketing platforms
Compensation & benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience, and competitive with other similar positions. Benefits include medical & dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, three weeks paid vacation, professional development, and more.
Please apply through our careers page, submitting your resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in the position. PDF format preferred. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and the position is available for an immediate start.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary range is commensurate with experience. Full benefits include health care, 403B, three week vacation, and extensive training and professional development opportunities. All Directors of Program participate in the Citizen Schools national network via trainings, site visits, institutes and organization-wide retreats and meetings.
ABOUT CITIZEN SCHOOLS:
All children deserve the opportunity to discover and achieve their dreams. Citizen Schools makes this possible for thousands of high-need middle school students nationwide through partnerships with public districts in 30 schools in 6 states that extend the school day and introduce volunteer and paid adults to increase hands-on learning opportunities. Extended Learning Time or ELT is an evidence-based model, that consistently accelerates the rate of student learning, reduces absenteeism, leads to more students reaching grade-level proficiency, and prepares students for college and beyond. You can review our results at http://bit.ly/CSresults13 or see the our impact first hand through the story of one of our students .
We are on a mission to reimagine the learning day, and with partners like Cisco, Fidelity, Biogen and AmeriCorps, we are getting closer to closing the opportunity and achievement gaps every day.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT : Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please notify [email protected] and we will work to accommodate your needs.
Back to top