Under the direction of the Head of Network Service Management, this role provides technical engineering support, fast and accurate response to all monitoring alerts, and ensures the repair or escalation of issues as appropriate for all network and security related events and incidents. It requires a broad network engineering background that spans across multiple platforms: routing / switching / load balancing / firewalls.
The Network Operations Engineer will mentor and train the Operations Technicians and Tier 1.5 staff regarding existing and newly introduced technologies to efficiently manage the quick identification and resolution of service impacting events within the environment.
This position will ensure high availability of the network as a result of proactive event and incident management based on SLA timelines. In addition, this position will strive to resolve technical issues effectively and efficiently while providing the highest level of customer service possible.
The Network Operations Engineer will strive to maintain the highest level of customer service for both internal and external customers by facilitating timely and accurate communications of network issues. This position supports 24/7 Network Operations, requiring the flexibility to work across all three shifts as required and on-call coverage.
The technician should be well versed with ITIL framework and will perform trouble shooting, escalation, event and incident management for alerts presented by the monitoring tools.
When new technologies and/or Business IT Services are added to the environment, they will be responsible for creating acceptance criteria and testing new service/technology supported by the Network Operations team. A primary function of this position will be to monitor and sustain the SLA(s), as well as growth and capacity planning aspects of the business IT services for Citizens.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provides technical and escalation support as well as monitor day to day operations of network and security infrastructure.
- Interprets monitoring console messages/alerts and performs required actions.
- Performs network problem isolation and determination
- Uses and invokes network diagnostic aids and tools.
- Initiates corrective action, where required, within scope of knowledge and authority.
- Implements and/or approves network bypass/recovery/backup procedures as required.
- Perform proactive investigation and resolution of event related triggers within the environment
- Performs triage and escalation to Tier 3 (Citizens and Vendor) as required.
- Keeps up-to-date on technology supported by the network operations team and ensures familiarity with new technologies that may be supported by the operations team in the future.
- Acceptance / coordination of new network equipment and/or managed elements in the IT infrastructure.
- Support Change Control review and preparation within the operations team
- Performs testing and maintenance activities of the network, as required.
- Uses and provides input to knowledge management for known error database
- Reviews knowledge management information inputted by Network Technicians and Tier 1/1.5 team prior to posting
- Mentors and provides direction to Network Operations Technicians and Tier 1/1.5 team
- Participates in post incident review and provides input to "Problem Management" as required
- Serves as the network operational interface for scheduling network changes
- Assists with engineering and deploying new technologies and infrastructure components
- Detailed experience of troubleshooting a variety of network and infrastructure products, technology and configurations.
- At least 5 to 8 years of internetworking experience with Routers, Switches, WAN, LAN, TDM, VoIP, Telecomm, and other internetworking technologies.
- Familiarity with telephony, Voice and Video over Network technologies (e.g. VoIP).
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of TCP/IP-addressing, routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, MPLS, etc.), and transport protocols (UDP and TCP).
- Detailed knowledge and hands on experience in troubleshooting routing protocol issues including BGP, OSPF
- Experience of working with Telco and network service providers (TDM, Ethernet, DWDM, MPLS)
- Knowledge with network services such as DNS, DHCP, NTP and Authentication (RADIUS & TACACS)
- Knowledge and experience working with F5 Load Balancers
- Working knowledge and experience of firewalls (Palo Alto, Cisco), IDS/IPS, VPN and Internet Proxies advantageous
- Professional Level network certification/training programs
- Understanding of network performance analysis and capacity planning best practices.
- High Level Understanding of Windows, UNIX and Linux based server technologies
- Familiar with database technologies e.g. SQL and Oracle
- Familiar with the use of monitoring, management, diagnostic tools and the SNMP protocol
- Understands vendor and industry standards and procedures for their respective technical specialty.
- Able to effectively operate as self-managing and self-starting.
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Believe in providing the highest quality of service and strive for efficiency.
- Willing to be flexible with the Network Operations work schedule to support multiple shifts.
- Understanding/familiarity of escalation, ITIL based Event, Incident, Problem and Change Management processes and procedures.
- SDWAN Platform Experience
- Programming and Scripting related background
- Project management experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree in business or a related technical field preferred. Relevant work experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- ITIL Training or Certification a plus
- Advanced Level professional certifications/training
Johnston, RI / East Providence, RI
Hours and Work Schedule
Hours per Week: 40
Work Schedule: M-F