Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Platform
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
Meraki's SRE Cloud Platform team is responsible for building and scaling the cloud that supports millions of Meraki devices across the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving more than 4 billion HTTP requests per day across eight data centers. Our customers depend on the Meraki cloud to manage and monitor their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs, and security cameras. We embrace the *nix way, automate away tedious tasks and build infrastructure as code.
In this role, you're going to have the unique opportunity to architect, build and support our platform as a service (PaaS). You will be part of an engineering team that is based out of Meraki’s San Francisco headquarters and will bring your expertise to a team passionate about automating and supporting production grade hybrid cloud infrastructure based on Kubernetes/Mesos. You will make crucial decisions about how to manage and scale complex, high-performance distributed systems. You will have visibility and impact across all of Engineering.
Be prepared to join a team that contributes to and evangelizes engineering best practices and standards. We are a team of incredible out-of-the-box thinking engineers who take pride in helping and collaborating with our engineering teams to solve problems which help them be more efficient!
- Design, implement and manage a highly available and scalable on and off-prem orchestration platform (PaaS) that allows development teams to deploy and run their services.
- Influence architectural decisions with focus on security, scalability and high-performance.
- Build end-to-end documentation and instrumentation of our platform to ensure visibility, automation, self-healing and resiliency throughout the stack.
- Collaborate with other engineers on the team to foster solid engineering principles and represent our engineering values
- As a senior member of the team, you'll use both technical and relational skills to lead large scale projects to completion.
- You'll provide additional support for other cloud technologies (eg: OpenStack).
- Take part in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 4+ years of experience designing, deploying and operating mid to large scale enterprise or cloud environments.
- Have 7+ years of experience scripting or coding with languages like Ruby, Scala, Python, or Bash.
- You have a deep understanding of systems and application design, including the operational trade-offs of various designs.
- Experience managing container-based workloads, using Kubernetes or Mesos or other orchestration software
- Experience with AWS, or GCP or other cloud infrastructure providers.
- Expertise with infrastructure/configuration management systems such as Ansible, Puppet or Terraform.
- Highly proficient with modern Unix/Linux operating systems/distributions.
- You are able to inspire other people to work with you, and you enjoy mentoring and coaching more junior engineers
- You take an Ops-centric approach to everything you build, ensuring availability, performance and security are core components
- You are able to prioritize tasks, work independently, and call out exceptions effectively.
- Excellent communication, and documentation skills.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience.
Keywords: Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, System Administration, Software Engineering, containerization, container orchestration, Kubernetes, docker, mesos
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Back to top