Senior Backend Engineer (Network Service)
- Larkhall, United Kingdom
At Meraki, we’re making IT easier, faster, and smarter. Our cloud teams build and maintain our cloud applications, which manage millions of networks, cameras, and sensors all over the world. Our customers use the Meraki web dashboard, mobile app, and programmable APIs to monitor, configure, and automate critical IT infrastructure that serves tens of millions of people every single day. Cisco collects massive amounts of data from devices all over the world. We write millions of data points each second globally every day. With this data, we power Dashboard and a rich set of programmable APIs that allow our customers to gain insight into the state of their networks.
The Meraki Network Service team is transforming the way networking is delivered with Meraki’s legendary simplicity and cloud-first approach. Our Backend engineers focus relentlessly on scale and reliability in everything they do in support of the billions of transactions that keep Meraki customers connected. Our teams are small and fast-paced, striving always to make our services unique by balancing feature-rich abilities and simplicity.
About the role
You will design new capabilities that integrate and utilize data from multiple repositories in real time. You will help develop and scale our dashboard and the lower-layer services and infrastructure that power the data behind it. Not limited to Meraki’s Cloud alone, you will work with people throughout Cisco to help build the infrastructure and data pipelines to power data-driven decisions. This role involves working closely with leaders in the networking industry on a high profile project that includes rapid prototyping and integration into production.
What you will do:
- Design, build, and maintain scalable data pipelines that ingest all the data that runs our dashboard.
- Work with various teams within Cisco to understand the customers’ data requirements and needs.
- Perform a critical role in integrating real time transactions between various systems.
- Experience and passion for analyzing, scaling, and debugging large systems.
- Excitement for working with large data sets in real-time.
- Basic understanding of SQL, including experience working with one or more relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL or MySQL).
- Experience in object-oriented and/or functional programming languages (e.g. Scala, Ruby, C++, Go).
- You take a focused, organized approach to development, testing, and quality.
- You're passionate about what you're doing and ignite people around you.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with web development or dev-ops tasks.
- Experience or willing to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source projects.
- Experience with etcd, redis, and other distributed key-value store systems.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Back to top